Bangladesh police today raided a militant hideout on the outskirts of the national capital, killing Dhaka cafe attack 'mastermind' Canadian-Bangladeshi Tamim Ahmed Chowdhury and two other Islamist extremists.
"The gunfight erupted this morning after police started raiding a building at Naraynganj's Pikeparha," Counter-terrorism Unit's Additional Deputy Commissioner Sanowar Hossain was quoted as saying by the bdnews24.Com.
The unit's chief Monirul Islam earlier said the raid was conducted upon information gleaned from an arrested operative of the banned...
It’s once again a rape case that has rocked the most prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru University in the heart of the capital. Anmol Ratan, a former activist of the radical leftist student body, called the All India Students Association (AISA) was caught for allegedly drugging and raping a 28-year old research scholar in his hostel room. Even after the incident, Ratan had threatened the scholar with dire consequences if she tries to divulge the same to...
Launching a fresh attack on the LG and the Centre, Arvind Kejriwal today charged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi wants to reverse numerous decisions of the AAP government through Najeeb Jung and remove DCW chief Swati Maliwal who, he claimed, will be "arrested" soon.
Kejriwal's outburst on microblogging site Twitter came a day after Jung said that he was in the process of overturning and rectifying "illegal decisions" taken by the AAP government following the August...
India and Pakistan should continue a dialogue process to address their differences and issues, including Kashmir, the US has said as it asked the two nations to refrain from indulging in rhetoric.
"What I would say that the extent to which both countries are seeking to continue a dialogue process that will do more to address concerns and tensions than perhaps other approaches. So I would just say that it is our hope and our...
Security Council reforms, combating terrorism and implementation of the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals will be high on the agenda during UN General Assembly President-elect Ambassador Peter Thomson's discussions with the Indian leadership next week.
Thomson, who will arrive in India tomorrow, will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Secretary for External Relations Sujata Mehta and Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Arvind Panagariya as well as other senior Indian officials in New Delhi on...
JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar and two other varsity students were today granted regular bail in a sedition case relating to alleged anti-India slogan-shouting at JNU campus in February by a Delhi court which noted that there was no ground not to grant them the relief.
Earlier in the day, Delhi Police told the court that Kanhaiya and two other students -- Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattachary -- did not misuse interim bail conditions and cooperated with...
MOST READVIEW ALL
Even as more tranches of leaked documents related to the Scorpene submarine project of India have surfaced during the last 24 hours, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Friday sought to play down the issue saying it is not a “big...READ MORE
- India downplaying leak threat, rues journalist who broke story
- Mehbooba to call on PM to discuss Valley
- Two little girls left to starve in dingy room by alcoholic father
- PM orders task force for next three Olympics to avert repeat of Rio fiasco
- ‘Govt open to suggestions on Surrogacy Bill’
- HC razes barrier, throws open Haji Ali Dargah for women
- Whistleblower to handover leaked data disk to Oz Govt, says daily
BUSINESS & FINANCE
- Sensex recovers 85 pts on Sep F&O series take-off
- India Inc foreign borrowings down 44% at $1.2 bn in July
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- Indian-American couple pleads guilty to USD 20 mn visa fraud
HEALTH & FITNESS
There are many things you consider before crafting your home. But it is your own history that guides your choices. Timothy Oulton, a high-flying furniture designer, shared his knowhow with Unnati Joshi Sustainable furniture is a good conversation starter. Keeping a piece would make you the neighbour’s envy. But for British furniture-maker Timothy Oulton, it’s a way of staying rooted to his ancestors and keeping human civilisation alive. And he swears by the good earth. “We use reclaimed wood, much of...READ MORE
- If you kill the dog, females will breed more. Dogs will also come from outside. I’m with the people of Kerala, but if you keep killing dogs, you do things that do not work.
- Sufi saints were given birth by women. Then why we are barred (from entering the inner area of Haji Ali dargah)?
- If India is to meet the challenge of change, incremental progress is not enough. That is why my vision for India is rapid transformation, not gradual evolution.
- SRK, Akshay among highest paid actors, 'The Rock' tops list
- Don't need to be an actor now to belong to Bollywood: Dwayne Bravo
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta
- Would like to work with Amitabh Bachchan in future: Saiyami Kher
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Saturday, 27 August 2016 | Bal Govind | NoidaThis refers to the editorial, “Watching over Dawood” (August 25). For several years, India has been crying from rooftops that it's most wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim lives in Pakistan right under the nose of the Pakistani establishment. The UN committee's endorsement of this fact only adds credence to India's claim....