As the political slugest over the Dadri lynching escalated, the District Magistrate today said video footage of the remarks made by controversial BJP MLA Sangeet Som is being examined and appropriate action will be taken even as UP minister Azam Khan accused BJP of "planning and executing" the killing.
Worried over the incident having repercussions elsewhere, the Modi government stepped in by fielding some ministers who held out the assurance that the guilty will be punished...
An FIR was today lodged against India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul Muslimeen (AIMIM) legislator Akbaruddin Owaisi by Kishanganj district administration for allegedly making inflammatory speech at an election rally here yesterday.
The police are also probing whether damage to idols at two temples in the town, which were discovered this morning, was a fallout of the speech, Superintendent of Police Rajiv Ranjan said.
Owaisi's speech, he said, violated provisions of section 144 of Crpc and an FIR has been lodged...
The Supreme Court today declined to interfere with BCCI's view to bar N Srinvasan from taking part in any of its meetings, saying the Board was free to stick to its stand that he suffered from conflict of interest so long as a court of law upsets that opinion.
The apex court, which declined to pass direction on the BCCI's plea seeking clarification whether Srinivasan was eligible to participate in board meetings in view of the...
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today accused the BJP of imitating his schemes by promising scooty to school students to counter his popular project of providing them with bicycles.
"BJP has a habit of imitation. In answer to my bicycle, it has come out with scooty to 5,000 meritorious girl students if voted to power," Kumar said, addressing an election meeting here.
"To counter my government's popular scheme of providing bicycles to 8.15 lakh students, the BJP...
MOST READVIEW ALL
Along with the idol of Goddess Durga, which is linked to bringing good fortune, German Chancellor Angela Merkel brought to India huge investment commitments, business pacts and co-operation agreements. During the third Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGCs) with India on Monday, Germany...READ MORE
- Germany returns stolen 10th century Durga idol
- Sell your old car, save up to Rs1.5L on new one
- Resilient India to grow at 7.5%, China to sink to 6.9%: World Bank
- Curfew clamped briefly on Varanasi as sadhus’ protest turns violent
- Bharti’s wife rejects mediation bid, MLA sent to jail till Oct 19
- Four jawans martyred, one terrorist killed in Kupwara
- India-Nepal’s trust deficit hits supply
BUSINESS & FINANCE
- Sensex soars 371 pts in early trade; Nifty above 8,000
- India's poverty rate lowest among nations with poor population
- Insian star Lahiri aims for Malaysian double at CIMB Classic
- Confident India set for New Zealand clash
- India expected to weather global volatility: World Bank
- Indian-American to lead US manufacturing 'think-and-do' tank
HEALTH & FITNESS
With October Beer Festival doing the rounds, we take a look at a few watering holes in the city and what they have in store for the annual fest. By Devi Singh If the month of October reminds you of the international Oktoberfest, the world’s largest beer festival held annually in Munich, Germany then you are definitely on a lookout for better avenues than gulping down the contagiously yawn-worthy Kingfishers and Tuborgs. As for the technical speak, the festival gets wrapped...READ MORE
- There is clear evidence where all the Taliban leadership is based. It is in Pakistan. Who is helping them, coaching them?
- They that possess the skills to be within notes and sounds independent of any other input, are the blessed. We are not.
- Israel is waging a fight to the death against Palestinian terror. This includes speeded-up demolition of terrorists' homes.
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Saturday, 03 October 2015 | Jayatheertha SA | HyderabadIt is notable that the mob killing of Mohammed Akhlaq, reportedly following rumours that he had had beef, follows the same pattern as seen in previous attacks. An announcement was made on a loudspeaker that a cow had been slaughtered and its carcass found near a transformer. Soon after, a...