Author: N Bhaskara Rao
Publisher: Sage, Rs695
Based on large-scale field surveys, the book studies trends in corruption in public services and offers suggestions on ways to implement good governance. Given the adverse effects of corruption on society and economy, the author illuminates upon the linkages between corruption processes and operations, and provides a strategic approach to curb this menace together with a methodology for ensuring graft-free delivery of public services.
Author: Sampurna Chattarji
Publisher: Penguin, Rs299
This is a sequence of stories set in the restless swirl of a Bombay where dream-shuttles speed through the rain and men fall prey to dirty love. Reeking of sewers, fish markets, slaughtered meat, and peopled with loners, misfits and drifters, these tales prise open the surface of everyday existence. We encounter a mother inexplicably estranged from her infant son, an Insectboy with a gift for fantasy, Night Rat Killers who prowl through the dark depths of the metropolis, and umbrellas that find refuge in their very own heaven.
Author: Hugh and Colleen Gantzer
Publisher: Niyogi, Rs250
The East is defined by the Bay of Bengal and the Brahmaputra that pours into it, creating the Andaman Islands. Or so a geologist assured Hugh and Colleen Gantzer. But they found more than forests there. In Ross Island, they had an eldritch encounter in the ruins of an abandoned church. In this, the fourth book in their Intriguing India series, the Gantzers describe the other experiences they’ve had in the Eastern States. In Puri, they saw a million people of all faiths. At Kamakhya, they saw evidence of an ancient celestial catastrophe. There are more such encounters with different places and people of the region.
- First PhD on political cartoon is going to be published in a book form 16 Jun 2017 | Agencies
- Capital legacies: The British Empire through its cities 05 Aug 2015 | IANS
- The Prime Minister‚Äôs daughter 09 Nov 2014 | Ananya Borgohain
- Clash of the ideologists 09 Nov 2014 | RAJESH SINGH
- The surveyor on the map 02 Nov 2014 | ANANYA BORGOHAIN
- Propagating personal spirituality 02 Nov 2014 | Ajit Kumar Bishnoi
- Modi‚Äôs metaphysical musings 18 May 2014 | KK SRIVASTAVA
- The stamp as the storyteller 18 May 2014 | Divya Kaushik
- Silencing the critics 04 May 2014 | Rajesh Singh
- A war through foreign lens 27 Apr 2014 | Rohit Srivastava
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 May 2018 | Ashis Sinha | Bokaro
More than dozens of the trains were affected after a traffic block conducted by railway on Bokaro-Kotshila rail block on Saturday. The traffic block was conducted to eliminate two unmanned railway crossing between Bokaro and Kotshila and to construct limited height subway there, informed S K Srivastava DRM Adra Division...