- Delhi HC dismisses plea against release of movie Padmavati
- 'Padmavati': Body of man found hanging on Nahargarh Fort in Jaipur
- Hafiz Saeed walks free; vows to fight for 'Kashmir cause'
- Parliament's Winter Session to be held from Dec 15 to Jan 5
- Vasco Da Gama-Patna Express derails near Manikpur in UP, 3 dead, 9 injured
- RK Nagar bypoll in TN on Dec 21: EC
Majuli-Declared New District
After passing onto the Guinness World Records as the largest river island in the world, the Assam Government declared Majuli as a new district of the State. Indeed, the district status for Majuli was long awaited. It is a timely decision by the BJP-led Sarbananda Sonowal Government as it will surely see a new round of developmental initiatives in the neglected island. As the new district is the home constituency of the new Chief Minister Sonowal, so he must ensure that the fast shrinking island and its people are getting their due.
Now the need of the hour is to put an end to the problems in the areas of communication, infrastructure development, education, agriculture and most importantly, health in the massively flood-affected district. The cultural, religious and spiritual capital of the State wherein the very philosophy of Vaishnavism is practiced in mass scale as of today, urgently need all round attention. It would be really good if the NGO’s, Civil Society Organisations and enlightened citizens of the State come all together for an appeal to both the Central and State Governments to save the island first and then of course, providing a permanent livelihood to the people there.
Meanwhile, Sonowal pledging the people of his beloved constituency to make an effort to include the island in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage site seems untimely. Because at present the picturesque island demands immediate measures to control the huge erosion brought every year by the mighty Brahmaputra.
Though he has declared all the roads as State highways to prevent flood, it will not be sufficient at all. Besides, Majuli does not have adequate health facilities and the availability of the doctors must be ensured as the islanders cannot access to either nearby North Lakhimpur or Jorhat district as Brahmaputra is surrounding the place. Hope, this time the flood ravaged people of Majuli gets their justice. Sonowal must take personal interest and save the island.
- Crime Capital 21 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- How India Should Respond 20 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why the Layoffs? 19 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Rise of Naxal Terror 17 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Cracks in PDP? 16 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why Delay in Appointment of Judges? 15 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Setback for Trinamool Congress in Tripura ? 14 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- After 15 Years of Global Terror 13 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- India‚Äôs Absence at SAARC Finance Minister‚Äôs Meet 10 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- AAP: Where to Go from Here? 08 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
Despite facing resistance from the city residents for closing down a few major cut points alongside MG Road and Harmu Bypass Road, the traffic police personnel are following the original plan in order to ensure smooth vehicular movement. SP (Traffic), Sanjay Ranjan Singh on Friday said that the orders of closing cut points along the two major routes will be followed as per the instructions received from Chief Minister, Raghubar Das...