- Yogi unveils booklet on achievements; promises development
- No discussion on H-1B during Modi-Trump meeting
- SC refuses interim order agst Centre's notification on Aadhaar
- China accuses Indian troops of 'crossing boundary' in Sikkim section
- India, US to cooperate against JeM, LeT; ask Pak to rein in terror groups
- With hugs and praise, Modi and Trump strike rapport
Brain Stormer: Owaisi’s topi politics with terrorism
As Islamist terrorists continue to kill and maim innocents around the world, most recently in Iraq and only days earlier in Bangladesh, Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi’s remark that he will be offering legal aid to five Muslim youths arrested by the National Investigation Agency on terror charges, has expectedly kicked off a storm.
But before we go into the matter, let it be said in no uncertain terms that there is technically there is nothing wrong in offering such legal aid. The youths are suspects, not convicts, and they are presumed innocent until proven guilty. They have a right to legal counsel, and if they are unable to arrange for it themselves, then the state is obliged to provide it for them. Remember, even Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist who was captured alive from the 26/11 attacks, was given legal aid by the Government.
This is as it should be, for this is what makes us a rule-abiding, lawful and civilised society. Having said that, let it also be made clear that Owaisi’s support for the terror suspects does not exactly from the goodness of his heart or because he is particularly bothered about law and justice. His decision is entirely politically motivated wherein he is playing to his core constituency. This is also true for his politics critics who have chosen to make a mountain out of a molehill, and in the process played the exact same game that Owaisi has played.
This is disappointing because it doesn’t even go close to solving some of the real issues that we face – one the one hand, radicalisation within the Muslim community even if it is on a small scale, and on the other hand, a law enforcement deficit. Both of these are serious issues that involve a whole host of socio-political and economic factors. However, instead of addressing these, tackling them hands on, and pushing for real change on the ground, it is unfortunate that our politicians have chosen to play their brand of top politics.
- Owaisi betraying country by offering help to ISIS-linked men: BJP 03 Jul 2016 | PTI
- Pak has not declined NIA team's visit to probe P'kot attack: Swaraj 19 Jun 2016 | PTI
- NIA doesn't oppose Sadhvi's bail plea in Malegaon blast case 06 Jun 2016 | PTI
- Pak not allowing Pathankot probe team will be betrayal: Rajnath Singh 28 May 2016 | PTI
- No govt interference in working of probe agencies: Rajnath 20 May 2016 | PTI
- India awaiting response from Pak on NIA visit 17 May 2016 | PTI
- Wife of slain NIA officer succumbs to injuries 13 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Two held in NIA officer murder case 12 Apr 2016 | PTI
- Was NIA official killed over a property dispute? 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Pakistan suspends talks with India, says no to NIA 07 Apr 2016 | IANS
- Crime Capital 21 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- How India Should Respond 20 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why the Layoffs? 19 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Rise of Naxal Terror 17 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Cracks in PDP? 16 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why Delay in Appointment of Judges? 15 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Setback for Trinamool Congress in Tripura ? 14 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- After 15 Years of Global Terror 13 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Majuli-Declared New District 12 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- India’s Absence at SAARC Finance Minister’s Meet 10 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Jun 2017 | MUKESH RANJANA | Ranchi
Baffled with regular incidents of chain, wallet and mobile snatching in the State Capital, Ranchi police will now work on a multi-pronged strategy after conducting thorough mapping of the areas, targets, timing, modus operandi etc. of the incidents taking place in the recent days and ensure that the culprits are caught immediately after committing the crime...