- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non- proliferation commitments: PM
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak
- US government shuts down
Setback for Trinamool Congress in Tripura ?
This year in August on the very 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement, the West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool leader Mamata Banerjee had issued a clarion call for ousting the Left from Tripura. Didi’s appeal to the people of Tripura to give the Left Front Government of Manik Sarkar a lesson in the coming Assembly election of the State, if it happens in reality, will be another feat for her as she had already trounced the Left rule of more than three decades in West Bengal.
Amid high hopes of forming the next Government in Tripura, the Assembly Speaker Ramendra Chandra Debnath denied the status of opposition party to the TMC and also did not award the Leader of Opposition to the party’s State unit chief Diba Chandra Hrangkhawal. So a tug of war between the Speaker and the TMC is on and this may lead to Governor’s intervention sooner or later.
Is Didi getting impatient to establish her party rule in the sensitive North Eastern State? Can it be possible for the TMC to bring enough numbers to prevent Sarkar coming back to power once again? Will her Bengal development model work here? Precisely, it will be a tough battle for the activist CM Didi in Tripura. Unless there is defection or serious clash within the Left, it will be an uphill task for her to put an end to Sarkar’s more than two decades of continued rule. However, though he ruled Tripura for such a long time, he could not do anything significant for the State. The State has remained poor and underdeveloped for all these years.
But then TMC must set its agenda beyond this minor issue of opposition leadership and highlight the abject poverty of the State. Sarkar’s Government must go and the people of Tripura deserves a new face outside the Left. And this could be no other than the TMC. Instead of trumpeting Bengal model and its success, Didi must devise a new formula for Tripura. Therefore she should work not only for getting the opposition party status but also make sure that Left is on its way out from Tripura.
- Crime Capital 21 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- How India Should Respond 20 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why the Layoffs? 19 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Rise of Naxal Terror 17 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Cracks in PDP? 16 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Why Delay in Appointment of Judges? 15 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- After 15 Years of Global Terror 13 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- Majuli-Declared New District 12 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- India‚Äôs Absence at SAARC Finance Minister‚Äôs Meet 10 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
- AAP: Where to Go from Here? 08 Sep 2016 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jan 2018 | PNS | Gwalior
It was a pleasing sight on Friday to witness 66 street children, accompanied by the District Collector and other officials at the Gwalior fair. The children enjoyed the visit, gazing at the stalls selling local produce and crafts...