- S Africa widens hunt for Zuma allies to India, China
- India best placed to leverage technology: PM
- DMK to convene 'all-party' meet on Cauvery issue
- Pak charges Rs 2.86L as route navigation charges on PM flights
- Mentally challenged person shot dead near J&K Air Force station
- FIR against Rotomac promoter for Rs 800 cr bank fraud: CBI
- PNB fraud fallout: CBI seals Brady House Branch in Mumbai
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Alibaba may pump in up to $300 mn in BigBasket
Alibaba will pump in up to USD 300 million in online grocery player, BigBasket, according to industry sources.
The deal, which is expected to be announced in the next few weeks, will give BigBasket more muscle to compete against rivals like Grofers and e-tailing giant Amazon, they said.
The sources did not wish to be identified as the discussions are private.
BigBasket declined to comment. An Alibaba spokesperson said: "As a matter of policy, we do not comment on market speculation".
In November, the Chinese e-commerce major had sought approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for acquiring stake in BigBasket.
Investing in BigBasket would help Alibaba add more muscle to take on the US-based rival Amazon, while for Paytm, the move would further strengthen its play in the Indian e- commerce space.
Amazon India has received government's approval for its proposed USD 500 million for retail in food sector. It is also ramping up its business in the segment with Amazon Pantry and Amazon Now.
BigBasket has operations in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi-NCR, Ahmedabad, Patna, Kolkata, Jaipur, Vijayawada, Indore, Punjab and Lucknow.
The company has raised over $200 million from investors including Abraaj Group, Bessemer Venture Partners, Growthstory, Helion Venture Partners, IFC and Sands Capital.
With people becoming comfortable buying even milk and bread online, the online grocery segment is projected to witness a strong growth over the next few years in India.
According to a report by Franchise India, the online grocery market is expected to be Rs 2.7 billion market by 2018-19.
- 15 'Samsung Smart Healthcare' centres launched in Tamil Nadu 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- PNB tanks 7%; m-cap drops Rs 10,975 cr in 4 days 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Microsoft's Bing to gain as Google kills 'view image' button 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Sensex slips below 34k level, down 131 pts in early trade 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- VIRGIN, MAHA IN PACT TO BUILD MUMBAI-PUNE HYPERLOOP 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- AAI terminates licences for ground handling services at airports 18 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Struggling LeEco plans smartphone with 18:9 aspect ratio: Report 18 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Odisha for collaboration with UN agencies on SDGs 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
- JK spends Rs 2,000 cr annually on import of meat, poultry 17 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Itel Mobile registers 217% growth in India 17 Feb 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...