BUSINESS & FINANCE
Alibaba may pump in up to $300 mn in BigBasket
Alibaba will pump in up to USD 300 million in online grocery player, BigBasket, according to industry sources.
The deal, which is expected to be announced in the next few weeks, will give BigBasket more muscle to compete against rivals like Grofers and e-tailing giant Amazon, they said.
The sources did not wish to be identified as the discussions are private.
BigBasket declined to comment. An Alibaba spokesperson said: "As a matter of policy, we do not comment on market speculation".
In November, the Chinese e-commerce major had sought approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for acquiring stake in BigBasket.
Investing in BigBasket would help Alibaba add more muscle to take on the US-based rival Amazon, while for Paytm, the move would further strengthen its play in the Indian e- commerce space.
Amazon India has received government's approval for its proposed USD 500 million for retail in food sector. It is also ramping up its business in the segment with Amazon Pantry and Amazon Now.
BigBasket has operations in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi-NCR, Ahmedabad, Patna, Kolkata, Jaipur, Vijayawada, Indore, Punjab and Lucknow.
The company has raised over $200 million from investors including Abraaj Group, Bessemer Venture Partners, Growthstory, Helion Venture Partners, IFC and Sands Capital.
With people becoming comfortable buying even milk and bread online, the online grocery segment is projected to witness a strong growth over the next few years in India.
According to a report by Franchise India, the online grocery market is expected to be Rs 2.7 billion market by 2018-19.
- Rs 13K cr tenders withdrawn or cancelled to promote Make in India products 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Sony plans raising local sourcing to offset import duty hike 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Himachal launches self-employment scheme 24 May 2018 | Himwant
- Xiaomi rolls out 'Mi Credit' for instant loans in India 24 May 2018 | IANS
- Sensex recoups 153 pts on global cues 24 May 2018 | PTI
- Working Capital: Why it's Important and How to Calculate it 24 May 2018 | Agencies
- India, EU officials take stock of long stalled FTA negotiations 23 May 2018 | PTI
- Shareholders vote Brian Tempest out of Fortis' board 23 May 2018 | IANS
- Tata Motors Q4 net profit down nearly 50% to Rs 2,176 cr 23 May 2018 | PTI
- Cabinet approves ordinance amending Bankruptcy Code 23 May 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...