BUSINESS & FINANCE
Bandhan Bank lowers lending rates by 1.48%
Private sector Bandhan Bank today announced a hefty 1.48 per cent reduction in its lending rates to 10.52 per cent, which will bring down its pricing for micro loans, its biggest segment, to 18.52 per cent.
"We will continue to pass on the benefit of lower cost of funds to our borrowers," Managing Director and Chief Executive Chandra Shekhar Ghosh said.
He said 95 per cent of the lender's Rs 18,500-crore credit portfolio is devoted to micro loans and added the deposit portfolio has risen to Rs 19,000 crore with 27 per cent of it being low-cost current and saving accounts (Casa).
The bank's asset-liability committee has reduced the marginal cost of funds-based lending rates (MCLR) by 1.48 per cent to 10.52 per cent, which will take the actual rate of lending for micro borrowers down to 18.52 per cent, a statement said.
All loans under Rs 1 lakh are classified by the Kolkata-based microfinance lender-turned commercial bank as micro and the revised interest rates are effective tomorrow, it said.
The private bank started operations in August 2015.
Following a New Year eve call to banks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to help the poor by lowering their interest rates, lenders, flush with huge deposits because of demonetisation, have been announcing lending rate cuts. Top lender State Bank of India led the charge by slashing rates by 0.90 per cent yesterday.
Among the private lenders, Kotak Mahindra Bank today announced a 0.45 per cent reduction.
Banks have moved to MCLR as their new benchmark lending rates from April 2016, replacing the base rate system for new borrowers. It is calculated on the marginal cost of funds and return on networth for banks. It was introduced by the Reserve Bank to ensure better transmission of its policy actions.
- Max Financial to raise Rs 5,000 cr to fund growth of life insurance arm 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Google commits $300mn to empower media houses 21 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Sensex rises over 200 pts to reclaim 33,000 mark; Nifty nears 10,200 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Canara Bank shares end nearly 4% lower as CBI files charge sheet against ex-CMD 20 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Govt hopes to bring new telecom policy in next Par session 20 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Sensex, Nifty cautious ahead of US Fed meet 20 Mar 2018 | PTI
- BPCL, IOC shares fall up to 4% on GAIL stake buy buzz 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Aamir Khan new brand ambassador for Vivo India 19 Mar 2018 | IANS
- Sensex, Nifty turn choppy; metal stocks fall 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Haryana govt notifies development plan for Faridabad 18 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Mar 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Dehradun police have arrested an alleged member of an inter-state gang involved in vehicle theft in Haridwar and Dehradun districts from Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday. The accused has been identified as Vikram Malik, native of Shamli, Uttar Pradesh, police said, adding that he was currently living in Haryana...