- Bullet-riddled body of man working for Army found: police
- Violent threats not acceptable in democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Steep fare hike will 'kill' Delhi Metro: Kejriwal
- Pakistan justifies Hafiz Saeed's release
- President urges legal fraternity to provide free services to poor
- Egypt army launches offensive against militants after deadly mosque attack
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Government hopes telecom sector's health will be clear in 3 months
The government is hopeful that within three months the picture will be clear about what needs to be done to revive the health of telecom sector in India.
"We have given three months' times (to the inter-ministerial group). I think within three months we will get a pretty clear picture of what the industry requires and what the government needs to do. Let this exercise get complete," Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan told BTVi in an interview.
The task of the inter-ministerial group (IMG) is to examine systemic issues affecting viability and repayment capacity of the telecom sector and furnish recommendations for resolution of stressed assets. It is expected to submit its recommendations within three months.
The group, comprising officials from the finance and telecom ministries, was set up after concerns about the financial stress in the industry.
"Government has already set up an inter-ministerial committee which is having detailed hearings with every section of the stakeholders. We are asking them to give their inputs. We have asked banks to give their inputs so that we can understand what these issues are, we can understand the gravity of these issues and whether the government needs to step in," she added.
Telecom companies Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India, Idea cellular, Reliance Jio, Reliance Communications, Tata Teleservices, Telenor, BSNL and MTNL have all met the IMG and discussed the state of the sector.
Sundararajan said the telecom sector in India had gone through ups and downs.
"We went from a situation where we had a monopoly operators from the government, then a set of players came in and then that set pf players was enlarged. Then, we had a situation where because of the intense competition, we actually had large number of players, now it is going through a phase of consolidation," she added.
- Smartphones sales break all record on Black Friday 25 Nov 2017 | IANS
- S&P keeps sovereign rating unchanged; govt says action unfair 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Apple offices raided ahead of iPhone X launch in S.Korea 24 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Sensex goes up 102 points, Nifty above 10,370 24 Nov 2017 | PTI
- 14 lakh jobs created in Karnataka in four years: Minister 23 Nov 2017 | IANS
- India firm on stopping terrorists from using social media: Prasad 23 Nov 2017 | IANS
- India, US will continue to work for inclusive growth: Ivanka 23 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Modi expresses concern over large number of grievances of consumers 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Facebook launches digital, start-up training hubs in India 22 Nov 2017 | IANS
- Sensex goes up 112 pts, Asian leads support 22 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Gautam Nagar police have nabbed a miscreant on Friday on the charge of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at Gautam Nagar on Friday. Police said that the accused Raj Sharma sexually assaulted the victim who was on her way home in the afternoon...