BUSINESS & FINANCE
Government hopes telecom sector's health will be clear in 3 months
The government is hopeful that within three months the picture will be clear about what needs to be done to revive the health of telecom sector in India.
"We have given three months' times (to the inter-ministerial group). I think within three months we will get a pretty clear picture of what the industry requires and what the government needs to do. Let this exercise get complete," Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan told BTVi in an interview.
The task of the inter-ministerial group (IMG) is to examine systemic issues affecting viability and repayment capacity of the telecom sector and furnish recommendations for resolution of stressed assets. It is expected to submit its recommendations within three months.
The group, comprising officials from the finance and telecom ministries, was set up after concerns about the financial stress in the industry.
"Government has already set up an inter-ministerial committee which is having detailed hearings with every section of the stakeholders. We are asking them to give their inputs. We have asked banks to give their inputs so that we can understand what these issues are, we can understand the gravity of these issues and whether the government needs to step in," she added.
Telecom companies Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India, Idea cellular, Reliance Jio, Reliance Communications, Tata Teleservices, Telenor, BSNL and MTNL have all met the IMG and discussed the state of the sector.
Sundararajan said the telecom sector in India had gone through ups and downs.
"We went from a situation where we had a monopoly operators from the government, then a set of players came in and then that set pf players was enlarged. Then, we had a situation where because of the intense competition, we actually had large number of players, now it is going through a phase of consolidation," she added.
- Sensex gains 147 pts on firm global cues, Nifty reclaims 10,600 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Bharti Infratel Q4 net profit rises 2 pc to Rs 606 cr 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Infra lending may take a back seat as RBI refuses to budge on new NPA rules 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- TCS becomes first listed Indian co to hit $100-bn m-cap 23 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India calls for strong quota-based permanent resource base for IMF 22 Apr 2018 | PTI
- India's GDP expected to reach USD 5 trillion by 2025: Economic Affairs secy 22 Apr 2018 | PTI
- BMW expects 50% of sales in India to come from X series SUVs 22 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Big reforms made India fastest emerging economy: Economic Affairs Secy 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Apple loses $60bn over reports of weak smartphone demand in 2018 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- US-China trade war to hurt global growth: EIU 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...