- Kerala tribal youth beaten to death by lynch mob
- Modi greets Trudeau with hug at ceremonial reception
- AAP vs Chief Secy: Police team at CM's residence
- PNB fraud: ED freezes deposits, shares worth Rs 44cr of Nirav Modi group
- Trump admin makes H1-B visa approval tough; Indian firms to be impacted
- Sunanda Pushkar death: SC notice to Delhi Police on Swamy's plea for SIT probe
- Australian Deputy PM resigns amid sexual harassment claim
- Parrikar discharged from Mumbai hospital
- SC asks if Kerala HC was justified in annulling Hadiya's marriage
- Canada High Commission cancels dinner invite to Khalistan terrorist
- PNB fraud: ED seizes luxury cars, more assets of Modi, Choksi
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Government hopes telecom sector's health will be clear in 3 months
The government is hopeful that within three months the picture will be clear about what needs to be done to revive the health of telecom sector in India.
"We have given three months' times (to the inter-ministerial group). I think within three months we will get a pretty clear picture of what the industry requires and what the government needs to do. Let this exercise get complete," Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan told BTVi in an interview.
The task of the inter-ministerial group (IMG) is to examine systemic issues affecting viability and repayment capacity of the telecom sector and furnish recommendations for resolution of stressed assets. It is expected to submit its recommendations within three months.
The group, comprising officials from the finance and telecom ministries, was set up after concerns about the financial stress in the industry.
"Government has already set up an inter-ministerial committee which is having detailed hearings with every section of the stakeholders. We are asking them to give their inputs. We have asked banks to give their inputs so that we can understand what these issues are, we can understand the gravity of these issues and whether the government needs to step in," she added.
Telecom companies Bharti Airtel, Vodafone India, Idea cellular, Reliance Jio, Reliance Communications, Tata Teleservices, Telenor, BSNL and MTNL have all met the IMG and discussed the state of the sector.
Sundararajan said the telecom sector in India had gone through ups and downs.
"We went from a situation where we had a monopoly operators from the government, then a set of players came in and then that set pf players was enlarged. Then, we had a situation where because of the intense competition, we actually had large number of players, now it is going through a phase of consolidation," she added.
- China absolutely killing US on trade says Trump 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- 'Made in India' 4G LTE telecom system to connect rural areas 23 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Why Should you Open a Company FD Account in 2018? 23 Feb 2018 | Agencies
- Sensex jumps 107 pts as March F&O series opens strong 23 Feb 2018 | PTI
- New WhatsApp Terms of Service reveals close collaboration with Facebook 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- RBI's new NPA norms may undermine bank earnings: Fitch 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Microsoft Surface Pro now available in India 22 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Gitanjali Gems plunges over 56% in six days 21 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Mukesh Ambani vows add'l Rs 10k cr investment in UP 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Sensex rises 208 pts; Nifty tops 10,400-mark ahead of F&O expiry 21 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...