BUSINESS & FINANCE
Intel admits to having reboot issues with recent patches
The world's top chip maker Intel Corp is advising some users to refrain from installing security patches that address "Meltdown" and "Spectre" flaws affecting all of its processors as it has turned out that the patches had bugs of their own.
"We have received reports from a few customers of higher system reboots after applying firmware updates. Specifically, these systems are running Intel 'Broadwell' and 'Haswell' CPUs for both client and data centre," Navin Shenoy, Vice President and General Manager of Data Centre Group at Intel Corporation wrote in a blog post on Friday.
"We are working quickly with these customers to understand, diagnose and address this reboot issue. If this requires a revised firmware update from Intel, we will distribute that update through the normal channels," Shenoy added.
The chip maker has been warning customers of three specific flaws in a recent firmware update, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Intel confirmed a report about a potential security flaw in its chips that is vulnerable to hacking and had promised to fix the bug as soon as possible last week.
"Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a 'bug' or a 'flaw' and are unique to Intel products are incorrect," Intel was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich sold off $24 million worth of stock and options last year after the company became aware of security bugs.
The company was notified by Google in June last year of a flaw in its processor chips. "Regulatory filings showed Krzanich pocketed about $25 million before tax from the sale of stocks and options in late November," said a report in Sky News.
- Bengal nets over Rs 2.19 lakh cr of investment proposals 17 Jan 2018 | IANS
- All 14 types of Rs 10 coin valid, legal tender: RBI 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Sensex advances 70 pts in volatile trade; IT stocks gain 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Four rail corridors to complete 'golden quadrilateral' likely to get nod in budget 16 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Patanjali debuts online, announces partnership with Amazon India, Flipkart 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Modi to launch work commencement of Rajasthan refinery 16 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Soon, doorstep services for Delhiites as LG approves scheme 15 Jan 2018 | IANS
- India's wholesale price inflation eases to 3.58% in December 15 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Sensex, Nifty scale new peaks on positive macro data, earnings 15 Jan 2018 | PTI
- NCDEX starts first agri-options trading in guar seed 14 Jan 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) and Paras Healthcare today announced to run a 300 bedded super speciality hospital providing tertiary care services in the Capital City. A PPP project for the same was signed by CMD, HEC, Avijit Ghosh and MD, Paras Healthcare, Dr Dharminder Nagar on Tuesday...