- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non- proliferation commitments: PM
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak
- US government shuts down
BUSINESS & FINANCE
Steel production rises 5.1%, consumption up 4.2% in April-November
India's production of finished steel from April to November rose by 5.1 per cent to 69.604 million tonnes while consumption grew by 4.2 per cent to 56.788 million tonnes during the period, a Steel Ministry report said.
"Production of finished steel at 69.604 million tonnes registered a growth of 5.1 per cent during April-November 2017 over the same period last year. India's consumption of total finished steel saw a growth of 4.2 per cent in April-November 2017 (to 56.788 million tonnes) over the same period last year, under the influence of rising production for sale and imports," the Ministry's Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) report said.
SAIL, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, TSL, Essar, JSW Steel Ltd and Jindal Steel and Power Limited together produced 40.224 million tonnes of finished steel for sale during the first eight months of the current fiscal, which was a growth of nine per cent over the same period last year.
The report said overall production for sale of total finished steel at 8.342 million tonnes in November only was down by 9.7 per ent over October 2017 but grew by 6.4 per cent over corresponding month last year.
"During April-November 2017, crude steel production was 66.70 million tonnes, a growth of 4.5 per cent over same period last year, the report said.
According to it, the consumption at 6.412 million tonnes in the last month (November) was up by 1.9 per cent over same month last financial year.
However, India's import of total finished steel at 5.534 million tonnes in April-November was up by 16.9 per cent over the same period last year and imports in November only was at 0.614 million tonnes, up by 2.5 per cent over te year-ago month.
The report said India's total finished steel exports grew by 57.1 per cent to 6.639 million tonnes in the first eight months of the current fiscal compared with same period last year.
"Overall exports in November 2017, at 1.012 million tonnes, was up by 29.9 per cent over October 2017 and up by 53.6 per cent over November 2016," it added.
- ONGC to buy 51% stake in HPCL, government to exceed divestment target 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Google suspends flawed fact-check feature 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- 'I don't regret' firing man who wrote anti-diversity memo: Pichai 20 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Reliance Jio turns corner, posts net profit of Rs 504 crore in Q3 19 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Corporates open to public gaze as data available online: FM 19 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Sensex builds on gains, rises 131 pts on earnings, Asian cues 19 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Auto-scrapping plants will save India forex: Minister 18 Jan 2018 | IANS
- Maruti Suzuki to launch all-new version of Swift at Auto Expo 18 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Sensex hits another peak of 35,476.70; Nifty at 10,887.10 18 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Bengal nets over Rs 2.19 lakh cr of investment proposals 17 Jan 2018 | IANS
Sunday EditionView All
21 Jan 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Cold wave conditions persisted on Saturday in most parts of north India with the mercury further dropping in Kashmir and high-altitude areas of Himachal Pradesh recording sub-zero temperatures. Normal life remained hit in Jammu and Kashmir's Kargil as the minimum there settled at minus 19...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The Congress party exhibited a strong fight in the Madhya Pradesh civic polls by winning nine presidential posts in 19 civic bodies on Saturday, tying with the BJP, which too won equal numbers. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's charisma could not help the BJP take over the Congress citadel of Raghogarh, hometown of AICC general secretary Digvijaya Singh...