BUSINESS & FINANCE
Transport Ministry nod for 100% bio-ethanol vehicles by Bajaj
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari today said his ministry has accorded permission to auto makers Bajaj and TVS for making vehicles that run using 100 per cent bio-ethanol made out of rice and wheat straw.
"I told the managements of Bajaj and TVS to make ethanol based bike and auto rickshaws. They made it. I am giving them permission and the auto rickshaws or bikes or scooters will run on 100 per cent bio-ethanol," he said.
The Road, Transport, Highways and Shipping Minister was speaking during the launching ceremony of 'Vijaya Kranti', a Telugu news daily here.
Gadkari suggested that institutions engaged in agricultural research take up topics such as biofuel to reduce dependency on oil imports.
He said rice straw, as waste, is burnt in Punjab and Haryana, resulting in pollution in Delhi.
According to him, 280 litres of ethanol can be produced from one tonne of rice straw.
"We import Rs 40,000 crore worth of timber,Rs 4,000 crore worth of raw incense sticks, Rs 35,000 crore worth paper pulp and Rs 35,000 crore worth newsprint every year. So a total of Rs one lakh crore worth of imports related to wood.
He said the centre was encouraging farmers to cultivate bamboo so that imports are considerably reduced.
The government has, for the first time, decided to declassify bamboo as tree, he said.
Expressing concern over 'political influence' of the media, Gadkari said people of the country want the media to be independent and impartial.
Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee President Uttam Kumar Reddy alleged that the TRS government has been curtailing media freedom and journalists are working in fear and insecurity following 'threats' issued by the state government.
Vijaya Kranti promoter C L Rajam and Telangana BJP president K Laxman were among those who spoke at the function.
- Royal Enfield launches classic World War II era motorcycle model in UK 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Samsung claims to be India's number one smartphone brand 21 May 2018 | PTI
- CAIT to move CCI on Walmart-Flipkart deal 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Kingfisher Airlines among 18 firms to be delisted from NSE 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Samsung Galaxy A, J series devices with 'Infinity Display' now in India 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Petrol prices highest ever in Delhi, Mumbai 21 May 2018 | IANS
- Sensex up 126 points on Asian cues 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Dabur to invest Rs 250-300 crore in capacity expansion in FY19 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Govt earns Rs 1,400 crore as revenue from e-tourist visa 20 May 2018 | PTI
- Wilful defaults by PNB's big borrowers slip further to Rs 15,200cr by April-end 20 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...