- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
1.78L cos deregistered amid action against shell firms, says Jaitley
Speedy steps are being taken against shell companies and as many as 1.78 lakh firms that have not been carrying out business activities for long have been deregistered, Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley said on Friday. He also emphasised that balance needs to be maintained between the ease of doing business and ensuring that the firms are not misused.
Jaitley, who also holds the Finance and Defence portfolios, told the Lok Sabha that there is no definition for shell companies under the Companies Act but such entities are used for round tripping of money. The real owners behind such entities need to be identified and expeditious steps are being taken under the benami and Income Tax laws, he said during the Question Hour. As many as 1.78 lakh companies have been deregistered in recent times, he added.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Arjun Ram Meghwal said the Registrars of Companies (RoCs) have removed 1,62,618 companies from the register of the companies as of July 12, 2017.
Replying to supplementaries, Jaitley mentioned about markets regulator Sebi’s action against suspected shell companies on the stock exchanges, saying ‘baazaar mein thoda uthal puthal hua (there was some turmoil in the markets)’.
- Salutary benefits from DeMo in India: IMF 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- We should have not taken decision to venture into Africa, says Mittal 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Exit polls help run stocks high, Sensex jumps 216 pts 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Exports jump 30.55% to $26.19 bn in Nov 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- GST Council to meet today; discuss roll out of e-way bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Government to replace GST Ordinance with Bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Cab nod to amend Specific Relief Act for ease of doing biz 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Govt to reimburse MDR on transactions up to Rs 2k 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Govt okays Rs 2,600-crore for leather, footwear industry 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Now smartphone, TV to be costlier as import duty hiked 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Dec 2017 | PNS | Chandigarh
Eyeing 2019 Assembly and Parliamentary polls, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Friday asked the senior bureaucrats to rise above considerations of caste and religion and assist the Government in framing such policies which met the aspirations of the people. The Chief Minster while speaking at the inaugural session of the three-day chintan shivir for Cabinet Ministers, IAS, IPS and IFS at Timber Trail Heights, in Parwanoo asked them to finalise...