- P V Sindhu enters semifinals of All England Championship.
- Centre tells SC it will not damage Ram Sethu for shipping channel project
- Andhra CM targets PMO, alleges conspiracy
- 'TDP's exit signals opportunity for BJP to grow in Andhra'
- Bhagwant Mann resigns as AAP Punjab chief
- TDP quits NDA; to move no-confidence motion
1.78L cos deregistered amid action against shell firms, says Jaitley
Speedy steps are being taken against shell companies and as many as 1.78 lakh firms that have not been carrying out business activities for long have been deregistered, Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley said on Friday. He also emphasised that balance needs to be maintained between the ease of doing business and ensuring that the firms are not misused.
Jaitley, who also holds the Finance and Defence portfolios, told the Lok Sabha that there is no definition for shell companies under the Companies Act but such entities are used for round tripping of money. The real owners behind such entities need to be identified and expeditious steps are being taken under the benami and Income Tax laws, he said during the Question Hour. As many as 1.78 lakh companies have been deregistered in recent times, he added.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Arjun Ram Meghwal said the Registrars of Companies (RoCs) have removed 1,62,618 companies from the register of the companies as of July 12, 2017.
Replying to supplementaries, Jaitley mentioned about markets regulator Sebi’s action against suspected shell companies on the stock exchanges, saying ‘baazaar mein thoda uthal puthal hua (there was some turmoil in the markets)’.
- Managing costs with quality is top priority for healthcare providers: Bain & Company 17 Mar 2018 | PNS
- PNB scam not a systemic issue: WB official 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Jt panel on FRDI Bill gets more time to submit report 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėCAD widens, rises 2% of GDP at $13.5 bn in Q3‚Äô 17 Mar 2018 | PNS
- PNB to honour bonafide LoUs 17 Mar 2018 | PNS
- Investors poorer by Rs 1.86L cr as mkts sink on huge sell-off 17 Mar 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 17 Mar 2018 | PNS
- Millenials eager to invest for wealth creation: Survey 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Suzuki unveils Intruder variant priced at Rs 1,06,896 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
- 11 non-operational coal mines to start production from June 17 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
Kerala’s Catholic Church has declared war on the CPI(M)-led LDF Government over its new liquor policy by which liquor outlets including bars could be opened in almost all panchayats in the State. The new policy also paves way for the reopening of almost all the bars that were closed down in 2014 as part of the then Government’s policy envisaging implementation of Prohibition in ten years’ time through phases...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS | Chandigarh
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Saturday said that the previous governments indulged in the business of illegally acquiring lands with ulterior motives and with the intent of having their own cut. “This was done not only in Rohtak but in the entire state...