- BJP caricature of Rahul Gandhi not working any more: Tharoor
- PM inaugurates ferry service between Ghogha and Dahej in Guj
- AP CM Naidu meets scientists and food experts in US
- Democratic chairman: Trump 'most dangerous' president ever
- Mukul Roy likely to be inducted in BJP in Nov: party leader
- Militant killed in encounter in J-K's Kupwara
1.78L cos deregistered amid action against shell firms, says Jaitley
Speedy steps are being taken against shell companies and as many as 1.78 lakh firms that have not been carrying out business activities for long have been deregistered, Corporate Affairs Minister Arun Jaitley said on Friday. He also emphasised that balance needs to be maintained between the ease of doing business and ensuring that the firms are not misused.
Jaitley, who also holds the Finance and Defence portfolios, told the Lok Sabha that there is no definition for shell companies under the Companies Act but such entities are used for round tripping of money. The real owners behind such entities need to be identified and expeditious steps are being taken under the benami and Income Tax laws, he said during the Question Hour. As many as 1.78 lakh companies have been deregistered in recent times, he added.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs Arjun Ram Meghwal said the Registrars of Companies (RoCs) have removed 1,62,618 companies from the register of the companies as of July 12, 2017.
Replying to supplementaries, Jaitley mentioned about markets regulator Sebi’s action against suspected shell companies on the stock exchanges, saying ‘baazaar mein thoda uthal puthal hua (there was some turmoil in the markets)’.
- Macro-data led positive momentum lifts equity indices 22 Oct 2017 | IANS
- AP CM for greater India-US co-op in agri sector 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Tata Steel Netherlands workers protest Thyssenkrupp merger 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- PM hails IFFCO's steps for farmer's upliftment 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Govt fixes Sovereign Gold Bond rate at Rs 2,971 per gram 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Linking bank A/Cs with Aadhaar mandatory: RBI 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Govt to float tender for Wi-Fi service in panchayats by 2019 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Only 2,300 bank branches launch Aadhaar enrollment, updation centres 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Anant Raj acquires 26% stake in Delhi mall for Rs 225 crore 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Income tax unions threaten stir against new software rollout 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...