2 weeks into GST: Council to take stock today
Over two weeks into the GST regime, the all-powerful GST Council will meet on Monday to take stock of the implementation of the new indirect tax.
This will be the first meeting of the Council since the launch of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) on July 1 and the 19th since it was set up in September last year.
But unlike the earlier meetings, when the states and Centre used to sit across the table and decide on a plethora of issues, this time the interaction would happen through video conferencing.
“19th Meeting of GST Council under the Chairmanship of FM Arun Jaitley will be held through Video Conferencing on July 17 in Delhi,” the finance ministry tweeted.
After the last Council meet on June 30, it was decided that next meeting will happen on August 5.
But the date of the meeting, sources said, was advanced as the Council wanted to take stock of the situation post the rollout and get a nation-wide report.
The council, chaired by Jaitley and having state finance ministers as members, has over the past 10 months ironed out various contentious issues and decided on a four-tier tax structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent.
Over the last two weeks, the ministry has been issuing clarifications on doubts raised by industry.
Besides, Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has held a marathon six-day ‘GST Master Class’ for businesses and traders explaining the rules of the new tax regime and answering their queries online.
The finance ministry had earlier said the GST has been implemented “without any major problems being reported” from the field offices.
The ministry has also asked businesses to register themselves for the new indirect tax regime by logging on to the portal https://www.Gst.Gov.In/ latest by July 30.
- SAT stays Sebi order of winding up Sahara MF 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- Forex reserves at life-time high of $426.082 billion 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Coal add‚Äôl secy Suresh Kumar likely to be acting chairman of Coal India 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Sebi proposes to cut listing time for public issue of debt securities 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Markets end flat as RBI minutes weigh; post 4th weekly rise 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- TCS m-cap nears $100 bn; investors richer by Rs 41,301 cr 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Saudis see oil price on rise as Trump blasts OPEC 21 Apr 2018 | Agencies
- PNB claims expected recovery of Rs 1,800 cr from ‚ÄėMission Gandhigiri‚Äô 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Petrol prices rise to nearly 5-yr high 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...