- India set South Africa 204- run target in 1st T20
- Moderate polling in Tripura Assembly elections
- PNB fraud fuelled during demonetisation: Bengal CM
- Shame on you! student tells Trump at Florida anti-gun rally
- Modi inaugurates new BJP headquarters in Delhi
- Naval chopper tender: AgustaWestland withdraws plea from HC on bank guarantee
- Sebi may give fresh push to loan default disclosure by listed firms
2 weeks into GST: Council to take stock today
Over two weeks into the GST regime, the all-powerful GST Council will meet on Monday to take stock of the implementation of the new indirect tax.
This will be the first meeting of the Council since the launch of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) on July 1 and the 19th since it was set up in September last year.
But unlike the earlier meetings, when the states and Centre used to sit across the table and decide on a plethora of issues, this time the interaction would happen through video conferencing.
“19th Meeting of GST Council under the Chairmanship of FM Arun Jaitley will be held through Video Conferencing on July 17 in Delhi,” the finance ministry tweeted.
After the last Council meet on June 30, it was decided that next meeting will happen on August 5.
But the date of the meeting, sources said, was advanced as the Council wanted to take stock of the situation post the rollout and get a nation-wide report.
The council, chaired by Jaitley and having state finance ministers as members, has over the past 10 months ironed out various contentious issues and decided on a four-tier tax structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent.
Over the last two weeks, the ministry has been issuing clarifications on doubts raised by industry.
Besides, Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has held a marathon six-day ‘GST Master Class’ for businesses and traders explaining the rules of the new tax regime and answering their queries online.
The finance ministry had earlier said the GST has been implemented “without any major problems being reported” from the field offices.
The ministry has also asked businesses to register themselves for the new indirect tax regime by logging on to the portal https://www.Gst.Gov.In/ latest by July 30.
- United India Insurance's net profit at `306.27 cr during April-Dec last year 19 Feb 2018 | PNS
- FPIs' net outflow from equities hits $1 bn so far in February 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Uncertainty looms over mega petrochemical project in AP 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Five of top-10 firms take Rs 38,724 cr hit in m-cap 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- India's finished steel export slides over 30% in Jan 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Impact of GST on restaurant industry positive, says survey 19 Feb 2018 | Manoj Raghuvanshi
- CII-IBA Q4 Financial Conditions Index up over 2016-17, falls below Q3 19 Feb 2018 | IANS
- Coal import rises by 12% to 18 million tonnes in January 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Incentives for green tech, artificial intelligence likely 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
- RIL plans Rs 60k-cr digitial industrial area in Maharashtra 19 Feb 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Feb 2018 | SURESH NIKHAR | Bokaro
A police team of Bokaro Thermal police station headed by inspector cum officer-in charge Parmeshwar Leyangi on Sunday morning conducted raids at Ganjutola in Armo forest area here and seized approx 2.5 tonnes of illegal coal along with their 4 motorcycles and 5 cycles,said Bokaro SP Kartik S...