2 weeks into GST: Council to take stock today
Over two weeks into the GST regime, the all-powerful GST Council will meet on Monday to take stock of the implementation of the new indirect tax.
This will be the first meeting of the Council since the launch of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) on July 1 and the 19th since it was set up in September last year.
But unlike the earlier meetings, when the states and Centre used to sit across the table and decide on a plethora of issues, this time the interaction would happen through video conferencing.
“19th Meeting of GST Council under the Chairmanship of FM Arun Jaitley will be held through Video Conferencing on July 17 in Delhi,” the finance ministry tweeted.
After the last Council meet on June 30, it was decided that next meeting will happen on August 5.
But the date of the meeting, sources said, was advanced as the Council wanted to take stock of the situation post the rollout and get a nation-wide report.
The council, chaired by Jaitley and having state finance ministers as members, has over the past 10 months ironed out various contentious issues and decided on a four-tier tax structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 per cent.
Over the last two weeks, the ministry has been issuing clarifications on doubts raised by industry.
Besides, Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia has held a marathon six-day ‘GST Master Class’ for businesses and traders explaining the rules of the new tax regime and answering their queries online.
The finance ministry had earlier said the GST has been implemented “without any major problems being reported” from the field offices.
The ministry has also asked businesses to register themselves for the new indirect tax regime by logging on to the portal https://www.Gst.Gov.In/ latest by July 30.
- US Navy ship fires warning shots at Iranian vessel, says US official 26 Jul 2017 | Agencies
- Microsoft bets big on cloud, eyes new customers in India 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Paytm may team up with Alibaba to invest $200 mn in BigBasket 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- 637k new pilots to be needed for Airlines over next 20 years: Boeing 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Turnaround plans of 10 PSU banks submitted 26 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Commerce Secretary: Looking at measures in FTP to support exporters 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- Banks‚Äô exposure to telecom sector at Rs 97,681 crore: FM 26 Jul 2017 | PNS
- Amazon to expand ‚ÄėI HAVE SPACE‚Äô plan across India 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
- RBI processing old notes to verify numerical accuracy, says Jaitley 26 Jul 2017 | PNS
- DeMo has led to significant positive impact, says Ahir 26 Jul 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Jul 2017 | IANS | New Delhi
Only 349 of 4,862 India's large dams have emergency disaster action plans in place, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India's performance report on flood control and management schemes of the Water Resources Ministry has revealed. "Out of 4,862 large dams, emergency action plans or disaster management plans of only 349 dams, which is seven per cent, were prepared (March 2016)...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jul 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Taking a jibe at Woman and Child Development Minister Archana Chitnis, former Chief Minister and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior member Babulal Gaur on Tuesday said in the Assembly that he is hurt when the Minister does not keep her promise made in the House. While Chitnis was replying to a query posed by Moti Kashyap of the BJP on electricity arrangements in anganwadis, Gaur sought permission from Speaker...