- State Editions ˅
- Cover Story
- A YEAR OF FEATS
- 150th Anniversary Issue
- Middle India
- Literary Issue Special
- Cinema Issue Special
- Women's Special Issue
- Foreign Policy Special Issue
- for a cause
- Photo feature
- national interest
Air Costa’s woes worsen; more than 40 pilots quit
Embattled Air Costa has seen an exodus of employees, including 40 pilots, in the last few weeks over non-payment of salaries.
The airline, which has cancelled bookings till May, is scrambling for funds to restart its operations but is yet to make much headway in roping in investors.
Air Costa’s 450-odd employees are literally at the crossroads amid worsening financial situation, and industry executives apprehend there could be a replay of erstwhile Kingfisher Airlines -- whose shuttering in 2012 had rendered hundreds of people jobless.
Faced with cash crunch and financial issues with the aircraft lessors, Vijaywada-based Air Costa has not flown since February 28.
A source said employees have not been paid salaries for the month of February while more than half of the staff have not received any payment since January.
Air Costa first suspended its operational in August 2016 after aircraft lessor GE Capital Aviation Services taking back one of the three-leased Embraer planes as the airline failed to pay lease rentals.
At that time, the regional carrier had over 600 employees on its roll. Since then, around 150 people, including the 14 commanders and 30-odd first officers have quit, the source said.
- Bharti Airtel to buy Tikona’s 4G business for Rs 1,600 crore 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- NPA resolution mechanisms need more teeth, says Mundra 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Parliamentary panel to summon Urjit Patel again on Apr 20 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- GST Bills to be introduced in Parliament next week: FM 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Amazon, Grofers, Big Basket may invest $695 mn in food retail 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- SBI Chairman among Fortune’s 50 greatest leaders of the world 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- Dr. Morepen offers preventive therapy for heart diseases, diabetes 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Sebi provides pricing clarity on share issuance to unlisted cos 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
- FinMin, bankers to meet on utilising excess liquidity 24 Mar 2017 | PNS
- Fund mop-up via BSE’s e-book debt platform hits Rs 2 lakh crore 24 Mar 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Mar 2017 | Rajesh Singh
Is the marginalisation of the two caste-based parties in Uttar Pradesh a harbinger of change — from identity politics to the politics of development? If we take the 2014 and 2017 elections together, that does seem to be the suggestion, writes RAJESH SINGH Understanding an election result as monumental as that of Uttar Pradesh is akin to unravelling a deep thriller plot. The why, when, where, how and what — this...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Mar 2017 | PNS | Lucknow
Chief Minister Adityanath Yogi made a surprise inspection of the Hazratganj police station in Lucknow sending police officers in a tizzy on Thursday morning. Soon after, the Chief Minister said that there will be rule of law in UP and no one will be spared if found on the wrong side of law and asked police personnel to work with dedication...