BSNL, MTNL merger to help both firms: BSNL CMD
Amid renewed push for BSNL-MTNL merger, BSNL CMD Anupam Shrivastava has said the combination will be “advantageous” for both the state-owned telecom firms but issues pertaining to debt and salary structure will need to be sorted out first.
A Parliamentary panel report has pointed out that the Telecom Department is planning to place the merger proposal before the Cabinet by June.
The Standing Committee on Information Technology last week had said: “On the plan for merger of BSNL and MTNL, the same would be taken to Cabinet before June.”
Earlier, a top-level meeting at the Telecom Department last month discussed the possibility of merging both the entities that are facing financial stress due to increasing competition in the sector.
“There is synergy between BSNL and MTNL...There is no doubt about it, especially when we look at the enterprise and mobile business segments,” Shrivastava told the news agencywhen asked if he favours the merger.
Per se, he said, it would be “advantageous” to the two organisations.
He also pointed to certain “impediments” that would need to be sorted out before the merger can actually take place.
These include variation in salary structure of employees of the two corporations, which Shrivastava feels will need to be discussed with unions for consensus-building, besides MTNL’s debt overhang.
“MTNL has a huge debt and that debt has to be looked into ...It should not happen that after the merger, the entity becomes heavily burdened,” Shrivastava said.
On a positive note, a potential merger would enable the corporation to offer pan-India mobile services including in lucrative markets of Mumbai and Delhi, and infuse fresh capital to bolster the network, he said.
MTNL offers mobile services in Delhi and Mumbai. BSNL, on the other hand, operates in rest of India. “For the enterprise business too, a pan-India footprint is important. Typically, large enterprises have headquarters in Mumbai and Delhi, where we are not present. So, a complete pitch requires coodination with MTNL and vice versa,” he said.
- Business Corner 26 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- GST Council meet on May 4, simplifying returns on agenda 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- RBI data: Bank credit grows at 11.52%, deposits at 7.96% 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Prices of energy commodities set to rise by 20% this yr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Wipro Q4 net falls over 20% to Rs 1,800 cr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Rupee crashes 52 paise to 14-month low against US dollar 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Anmol Ambani joins boards of Reliance Nippon, Reliance Home 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- EPFO to inform members about contributions not deposited by firms 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Manipal Health again sweetens offer for Fortis Healthcare 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PNB to hire detective agencies to locate untraceable borrowers 26 Apr 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...