Cabinet nod for signing of convention on BEPS
The Cabinet on Wednesday gave its go ahead for signing of a multilateral convention to implement tax treaty to check evasion by preventing Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS).
Briefing reporters after the Cabinet meeting, Power Minister Piyush Goyal said the convention is an outcome of the OECD/G20 BEPS Project to tackle BEPS through tax planning strategies that exploit gaps and mismatches in tax rules to artificially shift profits to low or no-tax locations, resulting in little or no overall corporate tax being paid.
The final BEPS project identified 15 actions to address BEPS in a comprehensive manner.
Implementation of the final BEPS Package requires changes to more than 3,000 bilateral tax treaties which will be burdensome and time consuming.
In view of the same, the convention was conceived as a multilateral instrument which would swiftly modify all covered bilateral tax treaties (Covered Tax Agreements/CTA) to implement BEPS measures.
For this purpose, formation of an Ad-hoc Group for the development of such multilateral instrument was endorsed by the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in February 2015.
India was part of the Ad Hoc Group of more than 100 countries and jurisdictions from G20, OECD, BEPS associates and other interested countries, which worked on an equal footing on the finalisation of the text of the Multilateral Convention, starting May 2015.
The convention has been opened for signature as on December 31, 2016 and a first joint signing ceremony is scheduled to be held in Paris on June 7.
Signature is the first step in the process of expressing consent to be bound by the convention, which will become binding only upon ratification, an official release said.
- CISF to analyse social media trends for security of vital assets 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Crude steel output jumps 6.8% in Sep 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- FPIs infuse $2 bn in debt markets this month 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- CIL coal supply to power sector up 7% in April-Sept 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- NIA's Rs 10,000-cr IPO to hit market in Nov first week 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Mega event in Goa to attract investments in coastal state 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Pan-India homebuyers' pressure group seeks Modi‚Äôs intervention 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- ‚ÄėKotak panel report on corporate governance not a magic wand‚Äô 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Essar completes construction of Ro-Ro terminals in Gujarat 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
- HCL Infosystems to raise Rs 500 cr via rights issue 23 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
It would be a direct fight between the Congress and the BJP in the Chitrakoot Assembly (Satna district) by-election scheduled for November 9. The counting would take place on November 12...