Cabinet nod for signing of convention on BEPS
The Cabinet on Wednesday gave its go ahead for signing of a multilateral convention to implement tax treaty to check evasion by preventing Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS).
Briefing reporters after the Cabinet meeting, Power Minister Piyush Goyal said the convention is an outcome of the OECD/G20 BEPS Project to tackle BEPS through tax planning strategies that exploit gaps and mismatches in tax rules to artificially shift profits to low or no-tax locations, resulting in little or no overall corporate tax being paid.
The final BEPS project identified 15 actions to address BEPS in a comprehensive manner.
Implementation of the final BEPS Package requires changes to more than 3,000 bilateral tax treaties which will be burdensome and time consuming.
In view of the same, the convention was conceived as a multilateral instrument which would swiftly modify all covered bilateral tax treaties (Covered Tax Agreements/CTA) to implement BEPS measures.
For this purpose, formation of an Ad-hoc Group for the development of such multilateral instrument was endorsed by the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in February 2015.
India was part of the Ad Hoc Group of more than 100 countries and jurisdictions from G20, OECD, BEPS associates and other interested countries, which worked on an equal footing on the finalisation of the text of the Multilateral Convention, starting May 2015.
The convention has been opened for signature as on December 31, 2016 and a first joint signing ceremony is scheduled to be held in Paris on June 7.
Signature is the first step in the process of expressing consent to be bound by the convention, which will become binding only upon ratification, an official release said.
- GAIL in time-swap deal for US LNG 23 May 2017 | PNS
- RBI to reconstitute oversight committee to deal with bad loans 23 May 2017 | PTI
- FMCG stocks jump up to 14% 23 May 2017 | PNS
- ‘Mobile tower cos to pass on 18% tax to telcos under GST’ 23 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘Industrial alcohol, ethanol to attract 18% GST’ 23 May 2017 | PTI
- Hold back price hikes till GST roll out: Hasmukh Adhia tells India Inc 23 May 2017 | PTI
- LIC investment income at Rs1,80,117 crore in 2016-17 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Air purifiers among over 10 new products for India this year: LG 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Steel minister sees India as auto hub, bats for high-end steel 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Canara HSBC OBC Life eyes small cities, towns for expansion 22 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Two Hindi plays ‘Jung-e-Azadi’ and ‘Mantra’ were beautifully staged at Shaheed Bhavan Auditorium on Monday. The plays were staged marking the first day of Children’s Theatre Festival ‘Azad Bansuri’...