Coal in lowest tax slab, steel prices to remain stable
Fixing of the GST rate on coal at 5 per cent will lead to stabilisation of steel prices, a top official said on Thursday
The GST Council today decided to keep coal in the 5 per cent tax slab under the new sales tax regime against current tax incidence of 11.69 per cent.Welcoming the decision, Steel Secretary Aruna Sharma told PTI, “That (five per cent) is the lowest slab and would amount to stabilisation of steel prices.” The move will bring down the input cost and would lead to stabilisation of prices, and more and more expansion of steel plants would take place, the secretary said.
The steel sector will be benefited from the move, an industry analyst said. Driven by weak demand, companies operating in the steel sector rolled over their prices this month in spite of a cost push, another analyst said. A producer said the demand was too weak to pass on any hike in prices of raw material.
- Tech Mahindra Q4 net profit doubles to Rs 1,222 crore 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Toyota and Suzuki expand scope of partnership in India 26 May 2018 | Prof R S S Mani
- Benchmarks soar for 2nd day, end volatile week with modest gains 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Cadila Healthcare Q4 net up 53% at Rs 590.8 cr 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Global stocks fall on North Korea, new Trump trade worries 26 May 2018 | AFP
- Flipkart-Walmart deal: CAIT fears predatory pricing by Walmart 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Suzuki, Toyota outline plans to cooperation deal 26 May 2018 | Kushan Mitra
- Delta Airlines set to resume nonstop flights to Mumbai next year 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Sebi serves notice on Chanda Kochhar in Videocon loan case 26 May 2018 | PTI
- 7 states/UTs to roll out intra-state e-way bill today 25 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
27 May 2018 | PNS | New Delhi
The Nipah virus mystery deepened on Saturday as the samples collected from bats in Kerala’s Kozhikode and Malappuram districts, where 13 people have died of the infection, have tested negative for the virus. A report submitted by a central medical team to the Union Health Ministry also ruled out pigs to be the primary source of the virus...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan remained in the midst of villagers of Pachore, Lachore and Bhadakui of Nasrullaganj tehsil till Friday midnight during his Vikas Yatra in Sehore district. The Chief Minister held a direct dialogue with the villagers during the Jan-Samvad programme and gave information to them about the public welfare schemes...