- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
Ecommerce cos to pay up to 1% TCS under GST
E-commerce firms like Snapdeal and Amazon will have to mandatorily deduct up to 1 per cent TCS (Tax Collected at Source) while making payments to their suppliers under the GST regime which is expected to kick in from July 1.
The model Goods and Services Tax (GST) law, finalised by the GST Council, provides for 1 per cent TCS to be deducted by the e-commerce operators.
The model law provides that every electronic commerce operator, not being an agent, shall collect up to one per cent TCS, as may be notified on the recommendations of the Council, of the net value of taxable supplies made through it by other suppliers where the consideration with respect to such supplies is to be collected by the operator.
Experts had raised concerns saying this would mean that a similar amount will have to be levied on inter-state movement of goods, taking the total TCS deduction to 2 per cent.
“We have included the word ‘up to’ in the final model GST law. This would mean that TCS would not exceed 1 per cent of the sale proceeds,” an official said.
Industry has been expressing concern over the TCS provisions saying it would mean a lock-in of capital and also dissuades companies from selling through online aggregators.
E-commerce companies will also have to file returns on the TCS deductions, but in case of return of goods by the consumer, these companies will not have to deduct TCS as there is no actual sale.
The model law had defined ‘electronic commerce’ as supply of goods or services, including digital products, over electronic network.
‘Electronic commerce operator’ would mean those persons who own, operate or manage digital or electronic facility or platform for electronic commerce.
- DHL to invest $100 mn in India to meet GST challenges 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- CIL’s coal supply to power sector drops by 64.7 MT 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Forex kitty at record high of $381.955 bn 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mkts in consolidation mode; auto, bank scrips pull down Sensex 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- New rules to make realty free of undesirable activity: Parekh 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Affordable housing finance space to grow to Rs 6 trillion by FY’22 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- RIL overtakes TCS to become most valued Indian firm 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Panagariya makes presentation to PMO for reliable jobs data 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- RS 86k-cr Essar Oil-Rosneft deal gets lenders’ approval 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Govt, TRAI discuss policy; IMG brainstorms on telcos’ demands 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A police team, along with sniffer dogs, scanned the whole area of Bonta Park in Civil Lines on Saturday morning to get some clue about a woman murdered by her husband on Friday. After 12 hours search operation, police were able to find the body identified as Komal...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A farmer committed suicide in Chhatarpur district, allegedly due to over burdened with debt. While the family of Raghuvir Yadav, (27) alleged that he took the extreme step due to his mounting debt, the police said a family dispute led him to end his life...