Ecommerce cos to pay up to 1% TCS under GST
E-commerce firms like Snapdeal and Amazon will have to mandatorily deduct up to 1 per cent TCS (Tax Collected at Source) while making payments to their suppliers under the GST regime which is expected to kick in from July 1.
The model Goods and Services Tax (GST) law, finalised by the GST Council, provides for 1 per cent TCS to be deducted by the e-commerce operators.
The model law provides that every electronic commerce operator, not being an agent, shall collect up to one per cent TCS, as may be notified on the recommendations of the Council, of the net value of taxable supplies made through it by other suppliers where the consideration with respect to such supplies is to be collected by the operator.
Experts had raised concerns saying this would mean that a similar amount will have to be levied on inter-state movement of goods, taking the total TCS deduction to 2 per cent.
“We have included the word ‘up to’ in the final model GST law. This would mean that TCS would not exceed 1 per cent of the sale proceeds,” an official said.
Industry has been expressing concern over the TCS provisions saying it would mean a lock-in of capital and also dissuades companies from selling through online aggregators.
E-commerce companies will also have to file returns on the TCS deductions, but in case of return of goods by the consumer, these companies will not have to deduct TCS as there is no actual sale.
The model law had defined ‘electronic commerce’ as supply of goods or services, including digital products, over electronic network.
‘Electronic commerce operator’ would mean those persons who own, operate or manage digital or electronic facility or platform for electronic commerce.
- Kia Motors to invest $1.1 billion for manufacturing plant in India 28 Apr 2017 | PNS
- MSI posts record profit for FY17; earmarks Rs4,500 cr capex for FY18 28 Apr 2017 | PNS
- Paytm to pump in Rs10K crore into banking, financial services 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Consumers can now buy ‘digital gold’ using Paytm 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Stock of Rs500/2000 notes was kept ready before DeMo: RBI Gov 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Govt deliberating on fiscal year change, weighing pros v/s cons 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Jio effect: Rules soon for telcos TRAI-ing new service 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Scrap import licence norms for RF equipment: COAI 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- Commercial coal mining to private cos to reduce power tariff: Secretary 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
- NCLAT to hear Mistry pleas on maintainability, waiver on May 4 28 Apr 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
23 Apr 2017 | Ananya Borgohain
Author Pilar Maria Guerrieri discusses with ANANYA BORGOHAIN how the maps of Delhi from the 19th century onwards document the evolution of the Capital through the Mughal era, pre and post colonial periods, and the contemporary times Please tell us a little about yourself. I am an Italian but since my childhood, I have seen my parents travel to India...
STATE EDITIONSView All
28 Apr 2017 | Staff Reporter | Raipur
School Education Minister Kedar Kashyap on Thursday announced the results of the 12th standard examination conducted by Chhattisgarh Higher Secondary Board (CGBSE) in Raipur. The average passing percentage for the exam stood at 76...