EPFO may invest up to 15% of investable amount in equity mkts
Buoyed by the surging stock markets, the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) may propose to invest up to 15 per cent of its investable amount in equity markets during the next fiscal, Union Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya said.
“We are proposing to invest up to 15 per cent during the next year. Central Board of Trustees (CBT) meeting will be held on March 30. We will seek its opinion. So far, during the past one-and-half year we have invested `18,069 crore. We are getting good yield. It is encouraging,” Dattatreya told the news agency.
According to the minister, so far in the current year, the Provident Fund body invested the amount in the two index-linked ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) -- the BSE’s Sensex and the NSE’s Nifty which yielded a return of 18.13 per cent.
He said the investment proposal will be put in the CBT meeting to be held on March 30 for the final call.Dattatreya said the EPFO through fund managers had invested Rs 14,700 crore in ETFs in the current financial year.
A senior official said the Ministry of Finance gave its consent to the EPFO to invest from 5 per cent to 15 per cent of the investable income of the organisation every year.
Investable income is the net income of the EPFO from the investments it had already made in various forms, fresh contributions among others. This year the investable income would be about Rs 1.40 lakh crore, the official said.
The EPFO had started investing in ETFs in August 2015. EPFO manages a corpus of over Rs 8 lakh crore.
- Business Corner 26 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- GST Council meet on May 4, simplifying returns on agenda 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- RBI data: Bank credit grows at 11.52%, deposits at 7.96% 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Prices of energy commodities set to rise by 20% this yr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Wipro Q4 net falls over 20% to Rs 1,800 cr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Rupee crashes 52 paise to 14-month low against US dollar 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Anmol Ambani joins boards of Reliance Nippon, Reliance Home 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- EPFO to inform members about contributions not deposited by firms 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Manipal Health again sweetens offer for Fortis Healthcare 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PNB to hire detective agencies to locate untraceable borrowers 26 Apr 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...