- India beat Bangladesh by four wickets to win Nidahas T20 Tri-Series
- Piyush Goyal junks report suggesting airline-like dynamic pricing in railway
- Bypoll defeats no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged JK: Manmohan Singh
- Putin eyes fourth term as Russians go to polls
- 3 AIIMS doctors enroute to Agra killed in accident on Yamuna e-way
- Five civilians killed in Pakistan firing on LoC
Final hearing in Cairn Energy tax issue in Aug
Final hearing in Cairn Energy Plc’s challenge to a Rs 10,247 crore retrospective tax demand raised by India will begin in August in The Hague, the British firm said on Tuesday.
The three-member international arbitration tribunal “has stated that it will make appropriate arrangements to progress with the drafting of the award as expeditiously as possible after the final hearing,” the company said in its preliminary results announcement.
Cairn had initiated an international arbitration after Indian Government in 2014 used a two-year old law to raise a Rs 10,247 crore demand on a decade old internal reorganisation of the company’s unit in the country.
The 2012 law gave the Government powers to impose taxes retrospectively.
“International arbitration proceedings are well advanced with the final hearing of Cairn’s claim under the UK-India Bilateral Investment Treaty scheduled for August 2018 in The Hague,” the company said.
Following the draft assessment order of January 2014, the tax department attached the company’s residual 9.8 per cent shares in its erstwhile subsidiary, Cairn India, and confiscated $104.7 million dividend it was due to receive. Also, a Rs 1,590 crore income tax refund was also confiscated. Billionaire Anil Agarwal-led Vedanta Group had acquired Cairn India from the British firm in 2011. The company has since merged with Vedanta Ltd, in which Cairn Energy now holds about 5 per cent shares.
“In addition to resolution of the retrospective tax dispute, Cairn’s request for relief to the arbitration panel is seeking damages equal to the value of Group’s residual shareholding in Cairn India Ltd in 2014 plus further assets seized since (approximately $1.3 billion),” the statement said.
The company said while it is restricted from selling the shares in Vedanta Ltd, title to the shares remains with the company.
- Mcap of 6 of 10 most valued cos drops by Rs 52,000 crore 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Hindustan Infralog acquires 90% stake in Continental Warehousing 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Mining ban to affect India's competitiveness in international market, say ind stakeholders 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Tata Motors plans to drive in new products to expand mkt presence 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- PwC suggests timebound dispute resolution under GST 19 Mar 2018 | Manoj Raghvanshi
- Electric car ind needs practical strategy: Report 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- New NPA rules: Power producers' body accuses RBI of overruling House panel 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- AAI prepares for higher capex; eyes Rs 1,500 cr loans 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- TRAI to revamp MNP process; discussion paper by month-end 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Anti-dumping duty imposed on Ofloxacin import from China 19 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Leader of the Opposition in the state assembly Ajay Singh said that the claims of women well-wisher Chief Minister Shivraj Singh are deceiving as miscreants with minor offences are arrested with immediate effect, but in the matter related to a minister's son, Chouhan says enquiry would be conducted He further alleged that prime facie, minister's son was responsible for Preeti Raghuvanshi’s suicide. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today instructed police officials to...