- Taliban kill 18 soldiers in attack on Afghan army base: Officials
- Will shift operations partially to IGI T2 in coming weeks: IndiGo
- False allegations levelled against me but truth will prevail: Choksi to employees
- FM slams regulators' failure to detect PNB fraud
- Delhi diamond exporter booked for Rs 389-cr OBC loan fraud
FinMin proposes permitting premature closure of PPF A/C
The government proposes to allow premature closure of Public Provident Fund (PPF) accounts and permit opening of small savings accounts in the name of minor, the Finance Ministry said on Tuesday.
The legislative changes proposed in the Finance Bill 2018 are aimed at adding flexibility in operation of the account under Small Savings Schemes (SSS), it said.
Dismissing concerns expressed in the certain section of media, the ministry said that all existing protections have been retained while consolidating PPF Act under the proposed Government Savings Promotion Act.
“No existing benefits to depositors are proposed to be taken away through this process,” it said, adding that the proposal is to merge Government Savings Certificates Act, 1959 and Public Provident Fund Act, 1968 with the Government Savings Banks Act, 1873.
It further said that apart from ensuring existing benefits, certain new benefits to the depositors have been proposed under the bill.
“The main objective in proposing a common Act is to make implementation easier for the depositors as they need not go through different rules and Acts for understanding the provision of various SSS, and also to introduce certain flexibilities for the investors,” it said.
In order to remove existing ambiguities due to multiple Acts and rules for SSS and further strengthen the objective of “Minimum Government, Maximum Governance”, the government has proposed merger of the two laws with the Government Savings Banks Act, 1873, the ministry said.
- India keen to share tech skills with nations, says DoT Secy 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- SEBI asks HDFC Bank to probe matter 24 Feb 2018 | PTI
- PNB fraud shows gaps in supervision, Govt should dilute its stake, says CII 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Corp Affairs Min seeks attachment of all assets of Choksi, Nirav cos 24 Feb 2018 | Madhusudan Sahoo
- Gitanjali Gems shares plunge 60.5% in 8 days 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Rupee rebounds 31 paise to 64.73 on positive global cues 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Markets shrug off mega banking scam; Sensex surges 323 pts, Nifty up 108 pts 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Will see if more devolution to States served purpose: Singh 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Forex reserves up by $1.96 bn to $421.720 bn 24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Feb 2018 | PNS
Special cleanliness drive today Bhopal: The Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation is organising a special cleanliness drive on Saturday at Government Sultania Hospital on Saturday. The Nirankari volunteers will assemble at 7...