FinMin proposes permitting premature closure of PPF A/C
The government proposes to allow premature closure of Public Provident Fund (PPF) accounts and permit opening of small savings accounts in the name of minor, the Finance Ministry said on Tuesday.
The legislative changes proposed in the Finance Bill 2018 are aimed at adding flexibility in operation of the account under Small Savings Schemes (SSS), it said.
Dismissing concerns expressed in the certain section of media, the ministry said that all existing protections have been retained while consolidating PPF Act under the proposed Government Savings Promotion Act.
“No existing benefits to depositors are proposed to be taken away through this process,” it said, adding that the proposal is to merge Government Savings Certificates Act, 1959 and Public Provident Fund Act, 1968 with the Government Savings Banks Act, 1873.
It further said that apart from ensuring existing benefits, certain new benefits to the depositors have been proposed under the bill.
“The main objective in proposing a common Act is to make implementation easier for the depositors as they need not go through different rules and Acts for understanding the provision of various SSS, and also to introduce certain flexibilities for the investors,” it said.
In order to remove existing ambiguities due to multiple Acts and rules for SSS and further strengthen the objective of “Minimum Government, Maximum Governance”, the government has proposed merger of the two laws with the Government Savings Banks Act, 1873, the ministry said.
- Investors rush to mutual funds; over 8L folios added in a month 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Stock markets may see another phase of correction: Report 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Kerala eyes up to 15% growth in tourist arrivals in 2018 21 May 2018 | PTI
- RIL gets green nod for `2,338cr expansion project in Maharashtra 21 May 2018 | PTI
- MTNL investing `190 cr to upgrade services 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Aadhaar, PAN mandate for customs broker licence: Tax Dept 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Sebi to consider penal action against PNB, Gitanjali Gems 21 May 2018 | PTI
- GST roadblocks hit Patanjali growth in FY18 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Petrol, diesel rates touch all-time highs 21 May 2018 | PTI
- Arbitration panel to hear Vodafone challenge to tax 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...