- In Modi, Trump has a leader he can truly work with: experts
- Monsoon session of Parliament from July 17 to Aug 11
- Over 140 people feared buried in China landslide
- Modi to be first world leader to have WH dinner with Trump
- DU announces first cut-off list
- Srikanth reaches 3rd successive Super Series final
- Modi embarks on three-nation tour
Government approves Mahila Bank merger with SBI for greater outreach
The Government has approved merger of the Bharatiya Mahila Bank with the country’s largest lender SBI to ensure greater banking outreach to women.
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had last week cleared the merger of the two banks.
Explaining the rationale behind the merger, the finance ministry said the SBI group already has 126 exclusive all-women branches across the country while the Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) has only seven.
“The proportion of administrative and managerial cost in the BMB is much higher to reach the same coverage. For the same cost, a much higher volume of loans to women could be given through the SBI,” it said.
The ministry said there was a need to achieve the objectives of affordable credit to women as well as propagation of women-centric products quickly through a wider network and lower cost of funds.
“The Government of India has decided to merge the BMB with the State Bank of India to ensure greater banking services outreach to a larger number of women, at a faster pace,” the ministry statement read.
In the three years since the BMB was established, it has extended loans of Rs 192 crore to women borrowers while the SBI group has provided loans of about Rs 46,000 crore to women borrowers.
- DHL to invest $100 mn in India to meet GST challenges 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- CIL’s coal supply to power sector drops by 64.7 MT 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Forex kitty at record high of $381.955 bn 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Mkts in consolidation mode; auto, bank scrips pull down Sensex 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- New rules to make realty free of undesirable activity: Parekh 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Affordable housing finance space to grow to Rs 6 trillion by FY’22 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- RIL overtakes TCS to become most valued Indian firm 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Panagariya makes presentation to PMO for reliable jobs data 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- RS 86k-cr Essar Oil-Rosneft deal gets lenders’ approval 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Govt, TRAI discuss policy; IMG brainstorms on telcos’ demands 24 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A police team, along with sniffer dogs, scanned the whole area of Bonta Park in Civil Lines on Saturday morning to get some clue about a woman murdered by her husband on Friday. After 12 hours search operation, police were able to find the body identified as Komal...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Jun 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A farmer committed suicide in Chhatarpur district, allegedly due to over burdened with debt. While the family of Raghuvir Yadav, (27) alleged that he took the extreme step due to his mounting debt, the police said a family dispute led him to end his life...