Government approves Mahila Bank merger with SBI for greater outreach
The Government has approved merger of the Bharatiya Mahila Bank with the country’s largest lender SBI to ensure greater banking outreach to women.
The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had last week cleared the merger of the two banks.
Explaining the rationale behind the merger, the finance ministry said the SBI group already has 126 exclusive all-women branches across the country while the Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) has only seven.
“The proportion of administrative and managerial cost in the BMB is much higher to reach the same coverage. For the same cost, a much higher volume of loans to women could be given through the SBI,” it said.
The ministry said there was a need to achieve the objectives of affordable credit to women as well as propagation of women-centric products quickly through a wider network and lower cost of funds.
“The Government of India has decided to merge the BMB with the State Bank of India to ensure greater banking services outreach to a larger number of women, at a faster pace,” the ministry statement read.
In the three years since the BMB was established, it has extended loans of Rs 192 crore to women borrowers while the SBI group has provided loans of about Rs 46,000 crore to women borrowers.
- Business Corner 26 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- GST Council meet on May 4, simplifying returns on agenda 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- RBI data: Bank credit grows at 11.52%, deposits at 7.96% 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Prices of energy commodities set to rise by 20% this yr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Wipro Q4 net falls over 20% to Rs 1,800 cr 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Rupee crashes 52 paise to 14-month low against US dollar 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Anmol Ambani joins boards of Reliance Nippon, Reliance Home 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- EPFO to inform members about contributions not deposited by firms 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Manipal Health again sweetens offer for Fortis Healthcare 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- PNB to hire detective agencies to locate untraceable borrowers 26 Apr 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...