IIP expands to 7.5% in Jan; retail inflation at 4-month low of 4.44%
Giving a positive hope to the country's growing economy, industrial production expanded by 7.5 per cent in January 2018 as compared to 3.5 per cent in the same month last year on the back of good performance in manufacturing as well consumer and capital goods sectors. Similarly, retail inflation also contracted to 4.44 per cent in February from 5.07 per cent in January, according to Government data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO) on Monday.
However, the data said Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had grown at 7.1 per cent in December 2017. The IIP growth in January this year was mainly on account of uptick in manufacturing sector which constitutes 77.63 per cent of the index.
It also grew by 8.7 per cent during the month as compared to 2.5 per cent in January 2017, showing signs of recovery in the economy. Capital goods, a barometer of investments, showed a sharp increase in output by 14.6 per cent in January, 2018 as against a decline of 0.6 per cent year ago.
As far as retail inflation is concerned, it fell to a 4-month low of 4.44 per cent in February on cheaper food articles and lower cost for fuel. Retail inflation, based on Consumer Price Index (CPI), was at 5.07 per cent in January. However, it was 3.65 per cent in February 2017 and 4.88 per cent in November.
Data released by the CSO showed that the rate of price rise in the consumer food segment was lower at 3.26 per cent in February, as against 4.7 per cent in the previous month. Inflation in vegetables was 17.57 per cent last month, down from 26.97 per cent in January), and for fruits it was 4.80 per cent (as against 6.24 per cent).
On the other hand milk and its products too were less expensive with inflation print of 4.21 per cent, cereals and products at 2.10 per cent, meat & fish at 3.31 per cent while for eggs the prices grew at a slower pace of 8.51 per cent.
- Panama Paper Leaks: MAG looking into fresh revelations, says FinMin 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Markets skid on trade turbulence, macro risks 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- NPAs to see reduction of Rs 5K cr in Q1 on change in NPA norms for small business: Rajiv Kumar 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Yet to receive reply from ICICI Bank on Kochhar issue: Tyagi 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Initiates enforcement actions in NSE case 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- To amend norms for entities undertaking 3rd party assignments 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Sebi OK‚Äôs amendments to takeover, buyback norms 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Business Corner 21 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Maruti dominates PV segment in May with 7 models in top 10 list 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Taj group acquires Lutyen‚Äôs Delhi hotel in NDMC auction 21 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Observing the Yoga Day, the school students of Sharda Vihar School performed Yoga postures on Thursday. Observing International Yoga Day 750 students of the school got information about Yoga and students were informed about the benefits of Yoga were...