IIP output contracts 01% in June
Industrial output entered the negative territory in June contracting by 0.1 per cent mainly due to decline in manufacturing and capital goods sectors.
Besides, segments like mining, power generation, infrastructure/construction goods and consumer durables recorded poor performance.
Factory output, measured in terms of Index of Industrial Production, grew 8 per cent in June 2016, according to the data released by the Central Statistics Office on Friday.
On a quarterly basis, factory output growth during April-June slowed down to 2 per cent from 7.1 per cent in the corresponding period last year.
This is the first time in the current fiscal, the industrial output has shown a decline. The IIP grew by 3.4 per cent in April and 2.8 per cent May as per the revised estimates released on Friday.
Manufacturing sector, which constitutes over 77 per cent of the index, showed a decline of 0.4 per cent in June as compared to a growth of 7.5 per cent in the same month last year.
The output of mining and electricity sectors during the month decelerated to 0.4 per cent and 2.1 per cent from 10.2 per cent and 9.8 per cent respectively in June last year.
Capital goods output, which is the barometer of investment, declined by 6.8 per cent from a growth of 14.8 per cent a year ago.
Similarly, the output of primary goods and intermediate goods during the month declined by 0.2 per cent and 0.6 per cent as against growth of 8.2 per cent and 6 per cent respectively during June last year.
- Tepid credit growth: RBI data missing non-bank, debt markets 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Aurobindo to widen US portfolio, enter new markets in Europe 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Delhi to host 4th India-International MSME & Startup Expo 2017 from 24 Aug 21 Aug 2017 | PNS
- Sikka saga:Institutions need to outlive founders, feel experts 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- 3 insurers file IPO papers in 3 weeks; may fetch Rs 20,000 crore 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Shapoorji Pallonji Real Estate to launch six projects in FY18 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- NCLT must treat home buyers at par with banks: Assocham 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Banks stare at union strike on Tuesday, services may be hit 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- Global cues, Infy turmoil to dictate market trend: Experts 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
- IOC to invest Rs 52k cr in Paradip after pact with Odisha Government 21 Aug 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 Aug 2017 | AFP | Washington
The entire President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, that includes Indian-Americans Jhumpa Lahiri and Kal Penn, has resigned over President Donald Trump’s controversial remarks after the racist violence in Virginia. In a letter signed by 16 of 17 committee members, including author Lahiri and actor Penn, Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris Agreement on climate change has also been cited as a reason for their resignation...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Aug 2017 | PNS | Ranchi
The Government has decided to form State-level task force led by Mining Secretary which will look into matters of illegal mining of minerals and sand in the State. Government spokesperson and Personnel Department Principal Secretary Nidhi Khare said on Sunday that similar task forces would be set up in districts, led by respective Deputy Commissioner (DC) and supported by members like District Mining Officer and Circle Officer, which will conduct...