India records impressive growth in recent years: IMF
India’s growth has been “impressive” in the recent years which makes room for tax broadening efforts by the government, according to a top IMF official.
“India has recorded quite an impressive growth performance in recent years. Our view is that the elimination of fuel subsidies and the targeting of social benefits has delivered in terms of allowing the union budget target to be achieved at 3.5 per cent of GDP,” Vitor Gasper, Director of the IMF Fiscal Affairs Department told reporters at a news conference here yesterday.
“We have been collaborating with the Indian authorities in terms of looking at fiscal structural measures, including expenditure rationalisation while protecting infrastructure investment, tax broadening efforts,” he said.
- Essar Steel eyes 25% market share in auto-grade steel segment 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- MTNL seeks Delhi, Mumbai mobile licence extension till 2021 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Maruti’s mega car plants lean on new tech to be future-ready 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Shipping bodies plan global roadshows to promote sector 26 Jun 2017 | PNS
- A week on, petrol/diesel prices dip in daily revision 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Western, southern states control over 60% of bank credit: RBI 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- SBI chief’s salary zilch compared to counterparts in private banks 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- ‘Buoyed by consistent growth, SIPs set to double in 2 years’ 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Replacing Obamacare by new law in US risk to biz: Dr Reddy’s 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
- RBS to cut over 400 jobs, move many of them to India 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Jun 2017 | PNS | Nainital
The Shipra river which flows towards the north, contrary to most rivers, has been degenerated into a sewer with garbage being dumped in the river apart from the sewer. After concerned locals cleaned up the riverbed despite apathy of the local body, the district administration has taken cognisance of the issue and directed action against those polluting this river...