Markets retreat from record highs on Trump tremors
Equities went into a tailspin on Thursday after a three-session surge, with benchmark Sensex plunging 224 points and Nifty closing below 9,500, as global markets were roiled by the latest crisis surrounding US President Donald Trump.
Asian markets nosedived, tracking the biggest single- session slump in US shares in eight months yesterday on fears that the controversy over the firing of the FBI chief may scuttle Trump’s pro-business agenda and even lead to his impeachment, brokers said.
The global volatility added to the caution in domestic market, which was already in an over-bought position following the recent record-setting spree and succumbed to profit booking, they added.
The 30-share Sensex stayed in the negative zone throughout the session and hit a low of 30,393.72, before settling at 30,434.79, down 223.98 points or 0.73 per cent.
It had gained 470.62 points back-to-back in the previous three sessions to hit record highs.
Likewise, the 50-scrip NSE barometer Nifty plunged 96.30 points, or 1.01 per cent, to close at 9,429.45 after shuttling between 9,418.10 and 9,489.10.
Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs), after remaining buyers for the past few sessions, sold shares worth a netRs Rs 731.39 crore yesterday, as per provisional data. Domestic investors, on the other hand, purchased shares worth a net Rs 614.51 crore.
- ‘GST to add 40 bps to growth rate; won’t stoke inflation’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Mahindra Electric bets big on e-vehicles; to ramp up output 25 May 2017 | PTI
- India, Japan JV to set up LNG import terminal in Sri Lanka 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘B’luru prime destination for IoT startups in India’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Videocon shares see massive sell-off; drop 42% in 3 days 25 May 2017 | PTI
- MSI plans to upgrade engines, more models with automatic variants 25 May 2017 | PTI
- HCL Tech to buyback stock at 17% premium for Rs 3,500 crore 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘ADD on steel items to create stable environment’ 25 May 2017 | Manoj Raghuvanshi
- Note ban ‘successful political coup’: French economist Sorman 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Sikka’s salary drops 67% in FY17, total payout down 7% 25 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Naya Raipur
There will be 14 minor bridges constructed including a major bridge on the proposed railway track between Mandirhasaud, Naya Raipur and Kendri in the new capital region, officials informed. Notably, Naya Raipur has emerged in the country with the largest land bank of a mammoth 237 square kilometres ( 23,700 hectares), officials stated...