Mechanism soon to fix banking bad loan issue, says SS Mundra
RBI Deputy Governor SS Mundra on Thursday said a mechanism will be worked out soon in consultation with the Government to deal with the problem of mounting bad loans in the banking sector.
“It is difficult to put a time... It could be very near. My sense says there is so much of seriousness and engagement and so much of discussions have already taken place. It should not be something that which should be indefinite or very prolonged,” he said.
He was responding to queries related to bad loans in the banking sector during an interview to CNBC-TV18.
The gross NPAs of public banks rose to Rs 6.06 lakh crore in December 2016, from Rs 5.02 lakh crore at March-end of 2016.
Last month, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said a resolution was being worked out with the Reserve Bank that would put enough pressure on borrowers to settle dues.
He had blamed the bad loans of public sector banks on just 30-50 companies, saying accounts of these would have to be fixed to solve the issue.
- Tata Power’s renewable energy capacity crosses 2,000 MW mark 24 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘India Inc seals 252 M&A deals worth 15.8 bn in Jan-Mar’ 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Central Bank to raise Rs 6,500 cr this fiscal 24 May 2017 | PNS
- CEOs got biggest raise since 2013 24 May 2017 | PTI
- SFIO developing early warning system to detect corp frauds 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Aditya Birla Fashion partners KVIC, to sell Khadi products 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Ericsson sees growth in business despite tough times for telcos 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Tata Motors Q4 net profit down 16.79% to Rs 4,336.43 crore 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Goyal says won't allow companies from country barring Indian firms 24 May 2017 | PNS
- Cybersecurity threat landscape has grown exponentially: Cisco 24 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...