Mechanism soon to fix banking bad loan issue, says SS Mundra
RBI Deputy Governor SS Mundra on Thursday said a mechanism will be worked out soon in consultation with the Government to deal with the problem of mounting bad loans in the banking sector.
“It is difficult to put a time... It could be very near. My sense says there is so much of seriousness and engagement and so much of discussions have already taken place. It should not be something that which should be indefinite or very prolonged,” he said.
He was responding to queries related to bad loans in the banking sector during an interview to CNBC-TV18.
The gross NPAs of public banks rose to Rs 6.06 lakh crore in December 2016, from Rs 5.02 lakh crore at March-end of 2016.
Last month, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said a resolution was being worked out with the Reserve Bank that would put enough pressure on borrowers to settle dues.
He had blamed the bad loans of public sector banks on just 30-50 companies, saying accounts of these would have to be fixed to solve the issue.
- ‘EU to slap Google with record fine this week’ 27 Jun 2017 | AFP
- Modi's Sabka Saath inspires IGL's Swasth Saarthi 27 Jun 2017 | Surabhi Jajodia
- DoT working on stricter rules for tracking lost cell phones 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Rajan was offered deputy governor's post in RBI by Reddy 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Finmin for extending RBI deadline on Basel III norms 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Record low credit growth: 1,000 cos borrowed Rs1tln less in FY17 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- US business schools can study India's GST implementation: Modi 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Govt's move to defer TCS under GST will help small biz: Amazon 27 Jun 2017 | PTI
- Govt defers TDS, TCS under GST to ensure smooth rollout 27 Jun 2017 | PNS
- Essar Steel eyes 25% market share in auto-grade steel segment 26 Jun 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
25 Jun 2017 | Shipra Parashar/ Srishti Garg | New Delhi
With Delhi University declaring its first cut-off list on Friday, SGTB Khalsa college came out with the highest 99.66 per cent for BSc (Hons) Electronics...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 Jun 2017 | MUKESH RANJANA | Ranchi
Baffled with regular incidents of chain, wallet and mobile snatching in the State Capital, Ranchi police will now work on a multi-pronged strategy after conducting thorough mapping of the areas, targets, timing, modus operandi etc. of the incidents taking place in the recent days and ensure that the culprits are caught immediately after committing the crime...