Nifty creates history, closes above 9,900 level
Markets continue to surge ahead as Nifty closed above the 9,900 level for the first time while the Sensex set a fresh life high on Monday on optimism about corporate earnings.
Most Asian shares ruled firm, picking up cues from stronger than expected economic growth in China and expectations that the Federal Reserve will tread with care in tightening its policy, given lacklustre data, which led to a record close in the US on Friday.
Investors were optimistic that blue-chip companies might post encouraging first quarter numbers in coming days. On top of it, monsoon progress so far has been above-normal.
The 30-share Sensex jumped further to set a life-time high of 32,131.92, before ending up 54.03 points, or 0.17 per cent, at a new record 32,074.78. It broke its previous life high of 32,037.38, hit on July 13. The gauge has lost 16.63 points on Friday.
The 50-share index ended above the 9,900 level for the first time by surging 29.60 points, or 0.30 per cent, at new peak of 9,915.95, surpassing its previous closing high of 9,891.70 hit on July 13.
“Start of Parliament’s Monsoon Session and anticipations of any updates on the banking sector pushed Nifty within striking distance of 10,000. Investors look less daunted by psychological mark as earnings season has encouraged a stock specific approach,” said Anand James, Chief Market Strategist, Geojit Financial Services.
Wipro rose the most, up 3.12 per cent, ahead of its board meeting to discuss buyback of shares. Infosys firmed up 1.37 per cent after the company on Friday posted better-than-expected earnings and maintained 2017-18 revenue growth guidance.
- SAT stays Sebi order of winding up Sahara MF 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- Forex reserves at life-time high of $426.082 billion 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Coal add‚Äôl secy Suresh Kumar likely to be acting chairman of Coal India 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Sebi proposes to cut listing time for public issue of debt securities 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Markets end flat as RBI minutes weigh; post 4th weekly rise 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
- TCS m-cap nears $100 bn; investors richer by Rs 41,301 cr 21 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Saudis see oil price on rise as Trump blasts OPEC 21 Apr 2018 | Agencies
- PNB claims expected recovery of Rs 1,800 cr from ‚ÄėMission Gandhigiri‚Äô 21 Apr 2018 | IANS
- Petrol prices rise to nearly 5-yr high 21 Apr 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 21 Apr 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
15 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal on Saturday inspected Anand Vihar ISBT area and reviewed issues related to traffic, parking, encroachment and sanitation. He directed Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Ltd (DIMTS) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation to remove all unauthorised encroachments near the entry point of Anand Vihar ISBT and surrounding footpaths to facilitate easy movement of pedestrians...