Nifty creates history, closes above 9,900 level
Markets continue to surge ahead as Nifty closed above the 9,900 level for the first time while the Sensex set a fresh life high on Monday on optimism about corporate earnings.
Most Asian shares ruled firm, picking up cues from stronger than expected economic growth in China and expectations that the Federal Reserve will tread with care in tightening its policy, given lacklustre data, which led to a record close in the US on Friday.
Investors were optimistic that blue-chip companies might post encouraging first quarter numbers in coming days. On top of it, monsoon progress so far has been above-normal.
The 30-share Sensex jumped further to set a life-time high of 32,131.92, before ending up 54.03 points, or 0.17 per cent, at a new record 32,074.78. It broke its previous life high of 32,037.38, hit on July 13. The gauge has lost 16.63 points on Friday.
The 50-share index ended above the 9,900 level for the first time by surging 29.60 points, or 0.30 per cent, at new peak of 9,915.95, surpassing its previous closing high of 9,891.70 hit on July 13.
“Start of Parliament’s Monsoon Session and anticipations of any updates on the banking sector pushed Nifty within striking distance of 10,000. Investors look less daunted by psychological mark as earnings season has encouraged a stock specific approach,” said Anand James, Chief Market Strategist, Geojit Financial Services.
Wipro rose the most, up 3.12 per cent, ahead of its board meeting to discuss buyback of shares. Infosys firmed up 1.37 per cent after the company on Friday posted better-than-expected earnings and maintained 2017-18 revenue growth guidance.
- Ministerial panel to meet on Feb 24 for GST return filing simplification 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- FDI remains almost flat during Apr-Dec FY‚Äô18: DIPP 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Over 55 lakh GST returns filed in Jan 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Niti to prepare new list of sick PSUs for divestment 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- RBI Guv Patel opted for cautious approach at MPC meet: Minutes 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- FinMin to meet bankers to resolve payment issue soon 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- EPFO slashes interest rate to 8.55% for current fiscal 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Finally, Sensex in green after 3-day losing spell; up 141 pts 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Gitanjali Gems hits lower circuit; tanks over 56% in 6 days 22 Feb 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 22 Feb 2018 | Pioneer
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Nishatpura police have booked six persons for assaulting a 26-year-old youth near Munmun marriage hall late in the evening on Tuesday. The victim Anil Mongia was beaten brutally after having a dispute with Suraj over playing DJ at the marriage venue...