Nifty creates history, closes above 9,900 level
Markets continue to surge ahead as Nifty closed above the 9,900 level for the first time while the Sensex set a fresh life high on Monday on optimism about corporate earnings.
Most Asian shares ruled firm, picking up cues from stronger than expected economic growth in China and expectations that the Federal Reserve will tread with care in tightening its policy, given lacklustre data, which led to a record close in the US on Friday.
Investors were optimistic that blue-chip companies might post encouraging first quarter numbers in coming days. On top of it, monsoon progress so far has been above-normal.
The 30-share Sensex jumped further to set a life-time high of 32,131.92, before ending up 54.03 points, or 0.17 per cent, at a new record 32,074.78. It broke its previous life high of 32,037.38, hit on July 13. The gauge has lost 16.63 points on Friday.
The 50-share index ended above the 9,900 level for the first time by surging 29.60 points, or 0.30 per cent, at new peak of 9,915.95, surpassing its previous closing high of 9,891.70 hit on July 13.
“Start of Parliament’s Monsoon Session and anticipations of any updates on the banking sector pushed Nifty within striking distance of 10,000. Investors look less daunted by psychological mark as earnings season has encouraged a stock specific approach,” said Anand James, Chief Market Strategist, Geojit Financial Services.
Wipro rose the most, up 3.12 per cent, ahead of its board meeting to discuss buyback of shares. Infosys firmed up 1.37 per cent after the company on Friday posted better-than-expected earnings and maintained 2017-18 revenue growth guidance.
- Voltas launches its Exclusive Brand Shop at Dhampur, UP 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
- RHF shares jump 5% in stock mkt debut 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- SBI unveils India‚Äôs Ist bond index series in UK 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- FinMin to refund Rs 600 cr to exporters in a few days 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- SBI Life Insurance Co IPO oversubscribed 1.43 times on last day 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- New duty drawback rates from Oct 1 notified by Government 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- SAIL eyes higher market share on surging steel demand, says Singh 23 Sep 2017 | PNS
- Balraj Joshi takes charge of NHPC Ltd as CMD 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Uber loses licence to operate in London 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
- Govt plans to merge all steel research bodies under SRTMI 23 Sep 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Sep 2017 | Staff Reporter | New Delhi
A 38-year-old man has been arrested by the Farsh Bazaar police for allegedly duping people coming to ATM and fraudulently withdrawing their money. Twelve ATM cards have been recovered from his possession...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Sep 2017 | PNS | New Delhi
Migraine week at Orchid Orchid Medical Centre observed Migraine Week last week during which senior Neurologist Dr Ujjwal Roy gave free treatment to 54 migraine affected patients and said that if someone has long time headache or he has undergone changes in it, must consult a doctor as it could be secondary headache. He said that treatment from Botox injection could lead to 90 per cent release from migraine...