- Almost USD 30 million seized in raids linked to Malaysian ex-PM
- Samsung must pay Apple $539mn in patent lawsuit: US court
- HDK faces floor test today; expected to sail through
- Special NIA court convicts five IM militants in Bodh Gaya serial blasts case
- Two men detonate explosive device at Indian restaurant in Canada; 15 injured
Power producers see tariffs coming down under GST regime
Delhi Thermal power tariffs are likely to come down due to lower tax rate on coal under the Good and Service Tax regime which is expected to be rolled out from July 1, 2017.
The tax rate has been finalised at 5 per cent on coal as against the current tax incidence of 11.69 per cent at the GST Council meeting held in Srinagar today.
“The coal-based thermal power rates of different power plants may see a downward trends under the new GST regime as lower tax rate of 5 per cent proposed on it,” an official of an independent power producer said. However, the official said that the quantum or proportion of reduction in the tariff could not be ascertained at this point of time because there is multiple layer of levies and charges on coal as well as on electricity.
At present the average price of power of the state-run power giant NTPC Ltd is about Rs 3.20 per unit. Its different plants have different rates of tariff based on fixed cost, levies and other charges.
A senior official of a public sector firm explained, “The power tariff would definitely come down but we don’t know to what extend.
- 7 states/UTs to roll out intra-state e-way bill today 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Rs13K cr tenders withdrawn to promote Make in India products 25 May 2018 | PTI
- MSI dominated PV segment in April with seven models in top 10 list 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Hope to turn profitable in FY‚Äô20, not before, says BSNL CMD 25 May 2018 | PTI
- End of the Indica 25 May 2018 | Kushan Mitra
- NCLAT asks Bhushan Power to proceed with selection of bids 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Govt hikes customs duty on wheat to 30% to curb cheaper imports 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Sensex recoups 153 points on global cues 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Ficci: Govt‚Äôs move to clear IBC changes to expedite NPA cases 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Rupee rebounds from 18-mth low, up 12 paise against dollar 25 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | Ranchi
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Jharkhand visit on Friday sits with the Deputy Commissioners and officials of the 19 aspirational districts it would boost hope of speedy development of the areas that have been in the red zone. It is learnt that all the DCs concerned have been told to be ready with crisp presentations highlighting not only the good works done in their areas identified but also...