- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
SBI Q1 net profit jumps 5-fold to Rs 2.6k-cr; NPAs spike sharply
The country’s largest lender SBI on Friday reported over 5-fold jump in consolidated net profit to Rs 2,006 crore for the June quarter of the current fiscal even as non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad loans spiked sharply. Posting first quarterly earnings after the merger with its five associate banks and Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL), the state-owned bank said in a statement that its net profit in the April-June quarter of last fiscal, 2016-17, was Rs 374 crore.
It said the figures, ratios and other information are based on the merged audited numbers. “Historical data has been arrived at by aggregating the audited numbers of the erstwhile associate banks, Bharatiya Mahila Bank and SBI for comparison purposes.” Asset quality of the bank slipped substantially because of higher accruals of bad loans from the books of associates, it added. There were slippages with gross NPAs rising to 9.97 per cent of the gross advances as on June 30, 2017, from 7.40 per cent as at end-June 2016.
Net NPAs or bad loans too soared to 5.97 per cent of the net advances by June end of this fiscal, up from 4.36 per cent in the year-ago period. “Gross NPAs increased from Rs 1,37,662 crore as on June 2016 to Rs 1,88,068 crore as on June 2017,” SBI said. The operating income of the bank fell by 5.17 per cent to Rs 25,612 crore during April-June quarter of 2017-18, as against Rs 27,007 crore in the same period a year ago.
Of the other key metrics, bank’s fee income increased to Rs 4,870 crore during first quarter of 2017-18, up 16.21 per cent from Rs 4,190 crore in same period year ago. However, net interest income decreased by 3.51 per cent to Rs 17,606 crore from Rs 18,246 crore year earlier. Non interest income also fell by 8.62 per cent to Rs 8,006 crore from Rs 8,761 crore.
State Bank of India (SBI) said it contained the increase in operating expenses at 3.72 per cent year-on-year. On profitability front, SBI said there has been a fall of 8.4 per cent in interest income from advances during April- June of 2017-18 at Rs 36,142 crore from Rs 39,545 crore due to reduction on base rate/MCLR during the period. Deposits of the bank, as on June 2017 rose by 13.28 per cent to Rs 26,02,534 crore from Rs 22,97,426 crore.
Also, gross advances were up 1.46 per cent from a year ago to Rs 18,86,666 crore by June-end 2017, as against Rs 18,59,513 crore as on June 2016. SBI had merged its five associate banks -- State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Travancore, State Bank of Hyderabad and State Bank of Patiala, besides the BMBL -- with itself from April 1.
On a non-comparable basis, SBI said, its consolidated net profit during April-June, 2017-18, stood at Rs 3,105.35 crore. It was at Rs 867.32 crore in the same period year ago. Consolidated income (non-comparable) stood at Rs 70,776.56 crore in the first quarter of this fiscal. It was at Rs 69,414.82 crore year earlier. The non-comparable standalone net profit in April-June of 2017-18 stood at Rs 2,005.53 crore. The net profit was at Rs 2,520.96 crore year ago. The SBI stock was down 5.85 per cent at Rs 279.20 on BSE shortly before the close of the session.
- Salutary benefits from DeMo in India: IMF 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- We should have not taken decision to venture into Africa, says Mittal 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Exit polls help run stocks high, Sensex jumps 216 pts 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Exports jump 30.55% to $26.19 bn in Nov 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- GST Council to meet today; discuss roll out of e-way bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Government to replace GST Ordinance with Bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Cab nod to amend Specific Relief Act for ease of doing biz 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Govt to reimburse MDR on transactions up to Rs 2k 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Govt okays Rs 2,600-crore for leather, footwear industry 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Now smartphone, TV to be costlier as import duty hiked 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Dec 2017 | PNS | Chandigarh
Eyeing 2019 Assembly and Parliamentary polls, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Friday asked the senior bureaucrats to rise above considerations of caste and religion and assist the Government in framing such policies which met the aspirations of the people. The Chief Minster while speaking at the inaugural session of the three-day chintan shivir for Cabinet Ministers, IAS, IPS and IFS at Timber Trail Heights, in Parwanoo asked them to finalise...