Sebi orders MNCs to repay investors' money
Markets regulator Sebi today asked Multinational Industries Ltd (MIL) and its directors to repay investors' money that the Kolkata-based firm had raised without complying with public issue norms. Besides, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has restrained them from dealing in the securities market ‘from the date of this order, till the expiry of four years from the date of completion of refunds to investors’.
A probe by Sebi found that MIL had raised Rs 59.35 lakh by allotting non-convertible debentures (NCDs) to 110 people during 2011-12 to 2013-14. Since the securities were issued by the firm to more than 50 people each, it qualified as a public issue that requires compulsory listing on the recognised stock exchange. It was also required to file a prospectus, among other things, which it failed to do.
“In view of the violations committed by the company and its directors and promoters, to safeguard the interest of the investors who had subscribed to such NCDs issued by the company, to safeguard their investments, and to further ensure orderly development of securities market, it also becomes necessary for Sebi to issue appropriate directions against the company and the other noticees,” Sebi Whole Time Member Madhabi Puri Buch said in an order.
Accordingly, Sebi has directed MIL and its directors and promoters ‘to refund the money collected by the company through the issuance of NCDs, including the money collected from investors... With an interest of 15 per cent per annum, from the eighth day of collection of funds, to the investors till the date of actual payment’. These directors and promoters are Obaidur Rahaman, Kalyan Saha, Akmal Sekh, Rakabul Haque, Nargis Parvin, Rajesh Acharya and Miarul Sekh.
After completing the repayments, they would have to file a report of such completion with Sebi, within three months, certified by two independent chartered accountants. In case they fail to comply with the directions, Sebi on the expiry of three-month period, may recover such amounts.
- Goyal credits Jaitley for NPA clean-up; says banks poised for growth now 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- COAI flags concerns on Trai's draft pesky call norms; seeks cost-benefit math 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Wipro CEO Abidali Neemuchwala's pay package up 34.5% in FY18 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Nirav Modi stayed in flat above jewellery store in London: Report 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 16 more steel products brought under the ambit of quality control order 25 Jun 2018 | PNS
- DRI serves arrest warrant to Nirav Modi via email 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- 34 in fray for MD post in PSU Banks; BBB to hold interview from June 28 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Heads of 11-PSBs to appear before par panel on Tuesday 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Idea-Voda merger may get delayed as DoT readies fresh demand of Rs 4,700 cr 25 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Bharat-22 ETF oversubscribed, investors put in bids worth Rs 12,500 cr so far 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
24 Jun 2018 | PNS
Book on Renewable Energy Technology Released Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New and Renewable Energy, Shri RK Singh released a book titled “Renewable Energy Technology” co-authored by Shri IS Jha, CMD (POWERGRID), Shri Subir Sen, COO (CTU Planning &Smart Grid) POWERGRID, Shri Manish Kumar Tiwari, Asst GM (Smart Grid) POWERGRID and Prof DP Kothari in the august presence of CMD, POWERGRID, senior officials of Ministry of....
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 Jun 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Recognising the intent and passion of the Central Sarna Committee in safeguarding tribal customs as well as in infusing modern practices into the tribal community, Chief Minister Raghubar Das called upon the people to extend their support to the cause. The Chief Minister, in the same breath, rapped 'anti-national' forces who he alleged are attacking open culture of the community and said that the Government is here to protect the rights...