Sebi seeks clarification over Idea-Vodafone merger
Market regulator Sebi has sought clarification from Aditya Birla Group firm Idea Cellular regarding its proposed merger with Vodafone Plc’s Indian unit. Besides, the companies approached the Competition Commission of India (CCI) last month regarding the proposed merger and are awaiting the fair trade regulator’s nod in this regard.
In March, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular announced merger of their operations to create the country's largest mobile phone operator worth more than $23 billion with a 35 per cent market share.
As part of the proposal, the British firm will own 45.1 per cent of the merged entity while the Aditya Birla group, Idea’s parent company, will hold 26 per cent after paying Rs 3,874 crore for a 4.9 per cent stake. The remaining 28.9 per cent will be held by other shareholders.
Idea Cellular had sought approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) in April for the proposed merger. The market regulator has asked for clarifications from the merchant banker involved in the planned Idea-Vodafone merger, as per the latest update.
The clarifications being sought by Sebi could not be ascertained. An e-mail sent to Idea in this regard did not elicit any response. Earlier, Idea said a joint notification has been filed with the CCI and the Scheme of Arrangement has been filed with Sebi and stock exchanges for their approvals.
- Businesses can edit Aug, Sept GSTR-3B returns from Nov 20 19 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Business Corner 19 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Chinese investors keen on infra projects in India 19 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Moody‚Äôs: Losses in auto asset backed loans low 19 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Centre hikes import duty on edible oils to protect farmers 19 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Infosys Rs 13k-cr buyback to open on Nov 30 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Ericsson showcases 5G demonstration 18 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Air pax volume grows 20.5% to cross 10-mn-mark in Oct 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
- Tata Sons elevates Bhaskar Bhat, Saurabh Agrawal 18 Nov 2017 | PNS
- Short selling: Brokers can provide contracts for up to 12 months 18 Nov 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | Indore
Union Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot here on Saturday said the Central Board of Film Certificate (CBFC) should cut ‘objectionable’ scenes in the Bollywood film Padmavati whose release is being opposed by certain Rajput groups. The BJP leader said anger is palpable in the country against the period drama directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali...