Sebi seeks clarification over Idea-Vodafone merger
Market regulator Sebi has sought clarification from Aditya Birla Group firm Idea Cellular regarding its proposed merger with Vodafone Plc’s Indian unit. Besides, the companies approached the Competition Commission of India (CCI) last month regarding the proposed merger and are awaiting the fair trade regulator’s nod in this regard.
In March, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular announced merger of their operations to create the country's largest mobile phone operator worth more than $23 billion with a 35 per cent market share.
As part of the proposal, the British firm will own 45.1 per cent of the merged entity while the Aditya Birla group, Idea’s parent company, will hold 26 per cent after paying Rs 3,874 crore for a 4.9 per cent stake. The remaining 28.9 per cent will be held by other shareholders.
Idea Cellular had sought approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) in April for the proposed merger. The market regulator has asked for clarifications from the merchant banker involved in the planned Idea-Vodafone merger, as per the latest update.
The clarifications being sought by Sebi could not be ascertained. An e-mail sent to Idea in this regard did not elicit any response. Earlier, Idea said a joint notification has been filed with the CCI and the Scheme of Arrangement has been filed with Sebi and stock exchanges for their approvals.
- Views on draft agri-export policy sought 17 Jan 2018 | PNS
- TCS bags over $690 million deal from M&G Prudential 17 Jan 2018 | PNS
- Patanjali, etailers jointly to push products online 17 Jan 2018 | PNS
- 10 States join e-way bill forum 17 Jan 2018 | PNS
- HUL m-cap touches Rs 3L cr 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- DGS slaps GST profiteering notice on FMCG firm HUL 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Shift to B2B biz not easy; to build a $600-m undersea cable: ‚ÄėNew‚Äô RCom 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- RIL plans to invest Rs 5,000 cr in West Bengal: Mukesh 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- After Qatar & Oz, Russia cuts LNG price for India 17 Jan 2018 | PTI
- PM lays foundation stone of Rs 43k-cr Barmer refinery proj 17 Jan 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
17 Jan 2018 | PRAGYA PALLAVI | Ranchi
Annual Status of Education Report (ASER-2017) released on Tuesday covering 28 districts of 24 States on ‘Beyond Basics’- A survey of rural India youths, presented a gloomy picture of Jharkhand on a few basic parameters in comparison with the districts of Bihar, Odisha, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh. The survey based on 4 As (Activity, Ability, Awareness, Aspirations) covering the age group 14-18 years, Jharkhand lags behind in enrollment status, digital use,...