Sebi seeks clarification over Idea-Vodafone merger
Market regulator Sebi has sought clarification from Aditya Birla Group firm Idea Cellular regarding its proposed merger with Vodafone Plc’s Indian unit. Besides, the companies approached the Competition Commission of India (CCI) last month regarding the proposed merger and are awaiting the fair trade regulator’s nod in this regard.
In March, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular announced merger of their operations to create the country's largest mobile phone operator worth more than $23 billion with a 35 per cent market share.
As part of the proposal, the British firm will own 45.1 per cent of the merged entity while the Aditya Birla group, Idea’s parent company, will hold 26 per cent after paying Rs 3,874 crore for a 4.9 per cent stake. The remaining 28.9 per cent will be held by other shareholders.
Idea Cellular had sought approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) in April for the proposed merger. The market regulator has asked for clarifications from the merchant banker involved in the planned Idea-Vodafone merger, as per the latest update.
The clarifications being sought by Sebi could not be ascertained. An e-mail sent to Idea in this regard did not elicit any response. Earlier, Idea said a joint notification has been filed with the CCI and the Scheme of Arrangement has been filed with Sebi and stock exchanges for their approvals.
- GAIL in time-swap deal for US LNG 23 May 2017 | PNS
- RBI to reconstitute oversight committee to deal with bad loans 23 May 2017 | PTI
- FMCG stocks jump up to 14% 23 May 2017 | PNS
- ‘Mobile tower cos to pass on 18% tax to telcos under GST’ 23 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘Industrial alcohol, ethanol to attract 18% GST’ 23 May 2017 | PTI
- Hold back price hikes till GST roll out: Hasmukh Adhia tells India Inc 23 May 2017 | PTI
- LIC investment income at Rs1,80,117 crore in 2016-17 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Air purifiers among over 10 new products for India this year: LG 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Steel minister sees India as auto hub, bats for high-end steel 22 May 2017 | PTI
- Canara HSBC OBC Life eyes small cities, towns for expansion 22 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Two Hindi plays ‘Jung-e-Azadi’ and ‘Mantra’ were beautifully staged at Shaheed Bhavan Auditorium on Monday. The plays were staged marking the first day of Children’s Theatre Festival ‘Azad Bansuri’...