- PM hails soldiers who participated in 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Politics being used to crush people; Congress will defeat politics of hate: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul will lead the party with courage, dedication: Sonia
- Body of JeM terrorist found from Pulwama dist in JK: Police
- Mizoram becomes third power-surplus state in NE: PM Modi
- Coalscam: Ex-Jharkhand CM Koda, former coal secy get 3 yr jail
- Rahul Gandhi takes charge as Congress president
Sensex ends at over 1-mth low, melts 318 points
Gripped by fear psychosis due to geo-political aftershocks, key stock market indices were on a sticky wicket for the fifth day on Friday as both Sensex and Nifty fell over 1 per cent to hit their one-month lows. The sharp plunge left investors poorer by over Rs 95,000 crore as the market cap stood at Rs 1,27,08,846 crore.
Risk appetite took a hit after the Economic Survey said achieving the high end of the 6.75-7.5 per cent growth projected previously will be difficult. This is markets' first weekly fall in six. Weakness in the rupee against the American currency and lacklustre global shares dragged down the indices, too.
The BSE 30-share Sensex remained in the negative zone and settled down 317.74 points, or 1.01 per cent, at 31,213.59, its weakest closing since July 4. The index had tumbled 794.08 points in the last four sessions. The NSE Nifty after cracking the 9,700-mark to hit a low of 9,685.55, finally settled lower 109.45 points, or 1.11 per cent, at 9,710.80, a level last seen on July 7.
- Salutary benefits from DeMo in India: IMF 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- We should have not taken decision to venture into Africa, says Mittal 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Exit polls help run stocks high, Sensex jumps 216 pts 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Exports jump 30.55% to $26.19 bn in Nov 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- GST Council to meet today; discuss roll out of e-way bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Government to replace GST Ordinance with Bill 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Cab nod to amend Specific Relief Act for ease of doing biz 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Govt to reimburse MDR on transactions up to Rs 2k 16 Dec 2017 | PTI
- Govt okays Rs 2,600-crore for leather, footwear industry 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Now smartphone, TV to be costlier as import duty hiked 16 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
16 Dec 2017 | PNS | Chandigarh
Eyeing 2019 Assembly and Parliamentary polls, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal on Friday asked the senior bureaucrats to rise above considerations of caste and religion and assist the Government in framing such policies which met the aspirations of the people. The Chief Minster while speaking at the inaugural session of the three-day chintan shivir for Cabinet Ministers, IAS, IPS and IFS at Timber Trail Heights, in Parwanoo asked them to finalise...