- China to build world-class armed forces by mid-21st century: Xi
- CM is expected to encourage parking of vehicles in designated places: LG
- 4 injured as security forces fire on mob after 'braid chopping incident'
- Trump celebrates Diwali at White House, hails Indian-American community
- India can help US to keep an eye on Pakistan: Haley
SoftBank Vision Fund pumps in $2.5bn in Flipkart
Flipkart has raised an estimated $2.5 billion from SoftBank Vision Fund, making the fund created by Japanese conglomerate SoftBank one of the biggest shareholders of India’s largest e-commerce player.
“This is the biggest ever private investment in an Indian technology company,” Flipkart said in a statement without disclosing the sum invested.
The investment will make the $100 billion Vision Fund one of the largest shareholders in Flipkart, the e-tailer said.
People familiar with the deal said the investment is worth $2.5 billion, with about $1.5 billion being directly funnelled into Flipkart and $1 billion for part of Tiger Global Management’s stake.
The SoftBank Vision Fund, the world’s largest technology-focused fund, will get about 20 per cent stake in Flipkart, they said.
The investment, which comes less than two weeks after Snapdeal dropped merger talks with its bigger rival, will swell Flipkart’s cash holdings to more than $4 billion.
Snapdeal is backed by SoftBank.
The investment is part of the financing round announced in April this year where Tiger Global-backed Flipkart had raised $1.4 billion from Tencent, Microsoft and eBay. At that time, Flipkart was valued at $11.6 billion.
With the latest funding, Flipkart is estimated to have raised well over $5 billion till date.
SoftBank was mediating the talks for Snapdeal’s merger with Flipkart. The discussions were terminated after the smaller rival decided to pursue an independent path.
Sources had said SoftBank was keen to pick up stake in Flipkart and was looking at investing about $1.5-2 billion.
For Flipkart, the funding provides it with more arsenal to compete with Amazon. The two companies have been locked in an intense battle for leadership in the burgeoning Indian e- commerce market.
“India has a thriving Internet market with close to 500 million Internet users and as per market research, the Indian e-commerce market is expected to grow at a five-year CAGR in excess of 30 per cent,” the statement said.
The funding round further solidifies Flipkart’s balance sheet and will help accelerate investment in driving continued market leadership, it added.
Amazon and Flipkart have been pumping in millions of dollars to strengthen infrastructure as well as bring more sellers and buyers online.
While Flipkart has now raised close to $4 billion this year, Amazon pumped in about $600 million across various units in India since January this year.
“This is a monumental deal for Flipkart and India. Very few economies globally attract such overwhelming interest from top-tier investors,” Flipkart co-founders Binny Bansal and Sachin Bansal said.
Masayoshi Son, founder, Chairman and CEO of SoftBank Group Corp, said India is a land of vast opportunity.
“We want to support innovative companies that are clear winners in India because they are best positioned to leverage technology and help people lead better lives. As the pioneers in Indian e-commerce, Flipkart is doing that every day,” he added.
- China‚Äôs GDP rose to $12.1 trillion in last five years: Xi Jinping 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Axis Bank shares slump nearly 10% 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Women SHGs to get funds at 7% 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Now EPFO members having UAN can link Aadhaar online 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Inflation, fiscal uncertainty led to rate status quo: Urjit Patel 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- TTML Board okays up to Rs 20,000 crore fund-raising plans 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Japan‚Äôs Mitsui OSK Lines takes 11% stake in Swan‚Äôs floating LNG port 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- India, Mozambique agree to expedite development of Rovuma gas find 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Pradhan: India bats for pricing flexibility in LNG contracts 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Hit by DeMo-GST, cos slash gifts by 35-40% 19 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
15 Oct 2017 | IANS | Mumbai
Coming out in support of young victims of social media trolls, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar on Saturday exhorted them to speak out against the wrong policies of the Government and oppose growing incidents of intolerance and fascism across India. In an unique initiative, Pawar met around 35 youngsters who have been threatened on social media and/or booked by police for speaking out their minds against the Government and...
STATE EDITIONSView All
19 Oct 2017 | SUMAN K SHRIVASTAVA | Ranchi
There may be glaring gender disparity in the top courts, including Supreme Court and various high courts in the country, but Jharkhand is all set to get gender balance in appointment of judges in subordinate judiciary at the entry level. Of the 46 candidates recommended by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) a few days back to be appointed as Civil Judge (Junior division), earlier known as Munsif Magistrates, 22 are...