- EC acting like BJP's puppet, PM's 'roadshow' violation of model code: Congress
- Jaitley casts his vote, asks people to vote for development
- 2nd phase of Gujarat polls: 10% voting in 2 hours
- Dalit woman rape: Court awards death sentence to labourer
- Not undergone any makeover, BJP distorted my image: Rahul Gandhi
- Leaders pay homage to Parliament attack victims; Manmohan greets Modi
- Ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda convicted in coal scam case
- Govt shelves Dec 31 deadline on Aadhaar, PAN in financial dealings
- Kerala seeks Rs 1,843 cr from Centre for Ockhi damage
- SC stalls Centre's takeover of Unitech
SoftBank Vision Fund pumps in $2.5bn in Flipkart
Flipkart has raised an estimated $2.5 billion from SoftBank Vision Fund, making the fund created by Japanese conglomerate SoftBank one of the biggest shareholders of India’s largest e-commerce player.
“This is the biggest ever private investment in an Indian technology company,” Flipkart said in a statement without disclosing the sum invested.
The investment will make the $100 billion Vision Fund one of the largest shareholders in Flipkart, the e-tailer said.
People familiar with the deal said the investment is worth $2.5 billion, with about $1.5 billion being directly funnelled into Flipkart and $1 billion for part of Tiger Global Management’s stake.
The SoftBank Vision Fund, the world’s largest technology-focused fund, will get about 20 per cent stake in Flipkart, they said.
The investment, which comes less than two weeks after Snapdeal dropped merger talks with its bigger rival, will swell Flipkart’s cash holdings to more than $4 billion.
Snapdeal is backed by SoftBank.
The investment is part of the financing round announced in April this year where Tiger Global-backed Flipkart had raised $1.4 billion from Tencent, Microsoft and eBay. At that time, Flipkart was valued at $11.6 billion.
With the latest funding, Flipkart is estimated to have raised well over $5 billion till date.
SoftBank was mediating the talks for Snapdeal’s merger with Flipkart. The discussions were terminated after the smaller rival decided to pursue an independent path.
Sources had said SoftBank was keen to pick up stake in Flipkart and was looking at investing about $1.5-2 billion.
For Flipkart, the funding provides it with more arsenal to compete with Amazon. The two companies have been locked in an intense battle for leadership in the burgeoning Indian e- commerce market.
“India has a thriving Internet market with close to 500 million Internet users and as per market research, the Indian e-commerce market is expected to grow at a five-year CAGR in excess of 30 per cent,” the statement said.
The funding round further solidifies Flipkart’s balance sheet and will help accelerate investment in driving continued market leadership, it added.
Amazon and Flipkart have been pumping in millions of dollars to strengthen infrastructure as well as bring more sellers and buyers online.
While Flipkart has now raised close to $4 billion this year, Amazon pumped in about $600 million across various units in India since January this year.
“This is a monumental deal for Flipkart and India. Very few economies globally attract such overwhelming interest from top-tier investors,” Flipkart co-founders Binny Bansal and Sachin Bansal said.
Masayoshi Son, founder, Chairman and CEO of SoftBank Group Corp, said India is a land of vast opportunity.
“We want to support innovative companies that are clear winners in India because they are best positioned to leverage technology and help people lead better lives. As the pioneers in Indian e-commerce, Flipkart is doing that every day,” he added.
- BusinessCorner 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Murthy for user-friendly privacy laws 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
- NLCI carves a niche 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- ADB cuts India GDP growth forecast to 6.7% for 2017-18 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Trai‚Äôs views on in-flight connectivity framework by Dec-end: An official 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Market turns shaky on ADB growth forecast, macro fears 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
- Bankers decide to refer 22-23 large NPA accounts to NCLT 14 Dec 2017 | PTI
- India's interests protected even if WTO Ministerial fails 14 Dec 2017 | TS Vishwanath
- S Korea bans banks, FIs from dealing in Bitcoin 14 Dec 2017 | AFP
- Sensing tax evasion, I-T conducts surveys of Bitcoin exchanges 14 Dec 2017 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
10 Dec 2017 | AFP | Seoul
North Korea blamed US "nuclear blackmail" for soaring tensions over its weapons programme in rare meetings with a senior UN official, but agreed to regular communication with the organisation, state media said today. Jeffrey Feltman arrived in Beijing today after wrapping up a five-day visit to Pyongyang aimed at defusing the crisis, just a week after North Korea said it test-fired a new ballistic missile capable of reaching the United States...
STATE EDITIONSView All
14 Dec 2017 | PNS | DALTONGANJ
Following a directive from Secretary of Higher and Technical Education and Skill Development, Ajoy Kumar Singh, who in the meeting with the VCs the State universities on Tuesday in Ranchi asked to launch an intensive drive for the registration of the pass students of session 2015, 2016 and 2017 for placement, VC of Nilamber Pitamber University SN acknowledged going after this directive. Briefing newsmen here SN Singh said, “The...