- Agitation paralysing Mumbai suburban services withdrawn
- CBI has started preliminary probe in SSC paper leak case: Centre tells SC
- No immediate arrest of public servants in cases under SC/ST Act: SC
- Choksi to CBI: Completely defenceless due to exaggerated allegations
- Won't cede even an inch of land, ready for bloody battle: Xi
- Bodies of 39 Indians, abducted by ISIS in Iraq, found: Swaraj
- Jailed AIADMK leader VK Sasikala's husband M Natarajan passes away
SoftBank Vision Fund pumps in $2.5bn in Flipkart
Flipkart has raised an estimated $2.5 billion from SoftBank Vision Fund, making the fund created by Japanese conglomerate SoftBank one of the biggest shareholders of India’s largest e-commerce player.
“This is the biggest ever private investment in an Indian technology company,” Flipkart said in a statement without disclosing the sum invested.
The investment will make the $100 billion Vision Fund one of the largest shareholders in Flipkart, the e-tailer said.
People familiar with the deal said the investment is worth $2.5 billion, with about $1.5 billion being directly funnelled into Flipkart and $1 billion for part of Tiger Global Management’s stake.
The SoftBank Vision Fund, the world’s largest technology-focused fund, will get about 20 per cent stake in Flipkart, they said.
The investment, which comes less than two weeks after Snapdeal dropped merger talks with its bigger rival, will swell Flipkart’s cash holdings to more than $4 billion.
Snapdeal is backed by SoftBank.
The investment is part of the financing round announced in April this year where Tiger Global-backed Flipkart had raised $1.4 billion from Tencent, Microsoft and eBay. At that time, Flipkart was valued at $11.6 billion.
With the latest funding, Flipkart is estimated to have raised well over $5 billion till date.
SoftBank was mediating the talks for Snapdeal’s merger with Flipkart. The discussions were terminated after the smaller rival decided to pursue an independent path.
Sources had said SoftBank was keen to pick up stake in Flipkart and was looking at investing about $1.5-2 billion.
For Flipkart, the funding provides it with more arsenal to compete with Amazon. The two companies have been locked in an intense battle for leadership in the burgeoning Indian e- commerce market.
“India has a thriving Internet market with close to 500 million Internet users and as per market research, the Indian e-commerce market is expected to grow at a five-year CAGR in excess of 30 per cent,” the statement said.
The funding round further solidifies Flipkart’s balance sheet and will help accelerate investment in driving continued market leadership, it added.
Amazon and Flipkart have been pumping in millions of dollars to strengthen infrastructure as well as bring more sellers and buyers online.
While Flipkart has now raised close to $4 billion this year, Amazon pumped in about $600 million across various units in India since January this year.
“This is a monumental deal for Flipkart and India. Very few economies globally attract such overwhelming interest from top-tier investors,” Flipkart co-founders Binny Bansal and Sachin Bansal said.
Masayoshi Son, founder, Chairman and CEO of SoftBank Group Corp, said India is a land of vast opportunity.
“We want to support innovative companies that are clear winners in India because they are best positioned to leverage technology and help people lead better lives. As the pioneers in Indian e-commerce, Flipkart is doing that every day,” he added.
- SEBI bars Remac Realty, 5 directors for illegal money-pooling schemes 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Markets inch up with minor gains; investors‚Äô eye on Fed policy meet 21 Mar 2018 | PNS
- Prabhu appeals for common ground to strengthen WTO 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- UltraTech Cement may get support from Binani creditors 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Banks Board Bureau calls for greater dialogue with Finance Ministry; seeks more mandate 21 Mar 2018 | PNS
- EESL acquires UK-based utility Edina for Rs 493 cr 21 Mar 2018 | PTI
- Overseas push: Govt scraps export duty on sugar 21 Mar 2018 | Rajesh Kumar
- MG Motors outlines India growth story 20 Mar 2018 | PNS
- Business Corner 20 Mar 2018 | Pioneer
- Bandhan Bank public offer oversubscribed over 14 times 20 Mar 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Mar 2018 | PNS | Dehradun
Dehradun police have arrested an alleged member of an inter-state gang involved in vehicle theft in Haridwar and Dehradun districts from Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday. The accused has been identified as Vikram Malik, native of Shamli, Uttar Pradesh, police said, adding that he was currently living in Haryana...