State Govt entities now allowed direct external borrowings
State Government entities can now directly seek loans from bilateral overseas lending agencies for infrastructure projects of over Rs 5,000 crore, the Union Finance Ministry said on Thursday.
Earlier, the rules did not permit direct borrowings by the State Government entities from external agencies. Only, the central government could have raised external funds on behalf of State Governments.
“It has been decided to allow direct borrowing by financially sound State Government entities from bilateral ODA (Official Development Assistance) partners, based on State Government Guarantee and Government of India counter guarantee” subject to certain conditions.
State Government entities will include any ‘authority’, public sector undertaking or organisation of the state. The guidelines prescribe that loans can be obtained by state government entities having an annual revenue of more than Rs 1,000 crore in the three previous years for infrastructure projects of over Rs 5,000 crore.
“"The project should have regular revenue stream -- the revenues to be generated from the project should be enough for repayment of principal amount and interest,” the ministry said. The revenues from the project would be escrowed to the extent of payment of principal and interest from time to time.
The relaxation is aimed at funding major infrastructure projects, social sector projects and building institutional capacities. It would help State Government agencies in implementing projects having huge financial requirements which otherwise would have been faced fund crunch despite being viable.
- Business Corner 18 Jan 2018 | Agencies
- Bengal gets Rs 2.20L cr investment proposals in global biz summit 18 Jan 2018 | PTI
- Andhra CM woos investors in CII Partnership Summit 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
- PNGRB changes bidding norms for CNG and PNG retail licence 18 Jan 2018 | PTI
- India to be $5-tn eco in next 8-9 years: Prabhu 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
- GIFT eyes global insurers, foreign banks to set up shops soon 18 Jan 2018 | Madhusudan Sahoo
- GST Council may simplify returns filing norms, cut items‚Äô rates today 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
- TRAI to meet telcos on Jan 23 for 2018 agenda 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
- Price Waterhouse moves tribunal against SEBI order in Satyam case 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
- PFRDA eases withdrawal norms under NPS scheme 18 Jan 2018 | PNS
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
18 Jan 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) and Paras Healthcare today announced to run a 300 bedded super speciality hospital providing tertiary care services in the Capital City. A PPP project for the same was signed by CMD, HEC, Avijit Ghosh and MD, Paras Healthcare, Dr Dharminder Nagar on Tuesday...