State Govt entities now allowed direct external borrowings
State Government entities can now directly seek loans from bilateral overseas lending agencies for infrastructure projects of over Rs 5,000 crore, the Union Finance Ministry said on Thursday.
Earlier, the rules did not permit direct borrowings by the State Government entities from external agencies. Only, the central government could have raised external funds on behalf of State Governments.
“It has been decided to allow direct borrowing by financially sound State Government entities from bilateral ODA (Official Development Assistance) partners, based on State Government Guarantee and Government of India counter guarantee” subject to certain conditions.
State Government entities will include any ‘authority’, public sector undertaking or organisation of the state. The guidelines prescribe that loans can be obtained by state government entities having an annual revenue of more than Rs 1,000 crore in the three previous years for infrastructure projects of over Rs 5,000 crore.
“"The project should have regular revenue stream -- the revenues to be generated from the project should be enough for repayment of principal amount and interest,” the ministry said. The revenues from the project would be escrowed to the extent of payment of principal and interest from time to time.
The relaxation is aimed at funding major infrastructure projects, social sector projects and building institutional capacities. It would help State Government agencies in implementing projects having huge financial requirements which otherwise would have been faced fund crunch despite being viable.
- ‘GST to add 40 bps to growth rate; won’t stoke inflation’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Mahindra Electric bets big on e-vehicles; to ramp up output 25 May 2017 | PTI
- India, Japan JV to set up LNG import terminal in Sri Lanka 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘B’luru prime destination for IoT startups in India’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Videocon shares see massive sell-off; drop 42% in 3 days 25 May 2017 | PTI
- MSI plans to upgrade engines, more models with automatic variants 25 May 2017 | PTI
- HCL Tech to buyback stock at 17% premium for Rs 3,500 crore 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘ADD on steel items to create stable environment’ 25 May 2017 | Manoj Raghuvanshi
- Note ban ‘successful political coup’: French economist Sorman 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Sikka’s salary drops 67% in FY17, total payout down 7% 25 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Naya Raipur
There will be 14 minor bridges constructed including a major bridge on the proposed railway track between Mandirhasaud, Naya Raipur and Kendri in the new capital region, officials informed. Notably, Naya Raipur has emerged in the country with the largest land bank of a mammoth 237 square kilometres ( 23,700 hectares), officials stated...