UIDAI delays face recognition rollout until August 1
The Aadhaar-issuing body UIDAI has delayed the introduction of face recognition facility for authentication by one month to August 1 in order to get enough time to prepare for a smooth rollout.
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey told PTI that some more time will be needed to prepare for the rollout of the new facility which was earlier planned to be introduced from July 1.
The authority in charge of the national identity system had earlier this year announced it will include face recognition alongside iris or fingerprint scan as a means of verifying users, helping those who face issues in biometric authentication or have worn-out fingerprints.
“We are working on that. From August 1, we should be able to do it. All this is technology, and while we target a date this is not something as if we are buying things off-the-shelf. These things are being developed...,” Pandey said.
The UIDAI wants to be fully prepared, he said adding, “We are trying out best to have this released from August 1”. The UIDAI had said that face authentication would be allowed “only in fusion mode” meaning along with either fingerprint or iris or OTP to verify the details of Aadhaar holder
- Bharat-22 ETF oversubscribed, investors put in bids worth Rs 12,500 cr so far 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Markets stage strong comeback, log 5th weekly gains 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- ‚ÄėHSCC, EPIL in advanced stages for merger with similarly placed CPSEs' 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- EU slaps tariffs on US as trade war erupts 23 Jun 2018 | AFP
- Business Corner 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Prabhu says India trying to resolve trade disputes with many nations 23 Jun 2018 | PTI
- PM pitches for double-digit GDP growth 23 Jun 2018 | PNS
- Panama Paper Leaks: MAG looking into fresh revelations, says FinMin 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- Markets skid on trade turbulence, macro risks 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
- NPAs to see reduction of Rs 5K cr in Q1 on change in NPA norms for small business: Rajiv Kumar 22 Jun 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...