Wipro sacks hundreds post performance appraisal
The country’s third largest software services firm Wipro has sacked hundreds of employees following its annual “performance appraisal”.
According to sources, Wipro has shown the door to about 600 employees, while speculation was rife that the number could go as high as 2,000.
At the end of December 2016, the Bengaluru-based company had over 1.79 lakh employees.
When contacted, Wipro said it undertakes a “rigorous performance appraisal process” on a regular basis to align its workforce with business objectives, strategic priorities of the company, and client requirements.
“The performance appraisal may also lead to the separation of some employees from the company and these numbers vary from year to year,” it added.
The company, however, did not comment on the number of employees who have been asked to leave.
Wipro said its comprehensive performance evaluation process includes mentoring, re-training and upskilling of employees. The company is scheduled to report its fourth quarter and full-year numbers on April 25.
The development comes at a time when Indian IT companies are facing an uncertain environment given the curbs being proposed on worker visa norms by various countries like the US, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
These companies use temporary work visas to send employees to work on client sites.
With visa programmes in these countries becoming more rigorous, Indian IT companies are likely to face challenges in movement of labour as well as a spike in operational costs.
Indian IT companies get over 60 per cent of their revenues from the North American market, about 20 per cent from Europe and the remaining from other economies.
Besides, higher adoption of technologies like automation and artificial intelligence is also reducing the need to have a large number of employees at client site.
- Tata Power’s renewable energy capacity crosses 2,000 MW mark 24 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘India Inc seals 252 M&A deals worth 15.8 bn in Jan-Mar’ 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Central Bank to raise Rs 6,500 cr this fiscal 24 May 2017 | PNS
- CEOs got biggest raise since 2013 24 May 2017 | PTI
- SFIO developing early warning system to detect corp frauds 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Aditya Birla Fashion partners KVIC, to sell Khadi products 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Ericsson sees growth in business despite tough times for telcos 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Tata Motors Q4 net profit down 16.79% to Rs 4,336.43 crore 24 May 2017 | PTI
- Goyal says won't allow companies from country barring Indian firms 24 May 2017 | PNS
- Cybersecurity threat landscape has grown exponentially: Cisco 24 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...