Wipro sacks hundreds post performance appraisal
The country’s third largest software services firm Wipro has sacked hundreds of employees following its annual “performance appraisal”.
According to sources, Wipro has shown the door to about 600 employees, while speculation was rife that the number could go as high as 2,000.
At the end of December 2016, the Bengaluru-based company had over 1.79 lakh employees.
When contacted, Wipro said it undertakes a “rigorous performance appraisal process” on a regular basis to align its workforce with business objectives, strategic priorities of the company, and client requirements.
“The performance appraisal may also lead to the separation of some employees from the company and these numbers vary from year to year,” it added.
The company, however, did not comment on the number of employees who have been asked to leave.
Wipro said its comprehensive performance evaluation process includes mentoring, re-training and upskilling of employees. The company is scheduled to report its fourth quarter and full-year numbers on April 25.
The development comes at a time when Indian IT companies are facing an uncertain environment given the curbs being proposed on worker visa norms by various countries like the US, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
These companies use temporary work visas to send employees to work on client sites.
With visa programmes in these countries becoming more rigorous, Indian IT companies are likely to face challenges in movement of labour as well as a spike in operational costs.
Indian IT companies get over 60 per cent of their revenues from the North American market, about 20 per cent from Europe and the remaining from other economies.
Besides, higher adoption of technologies like automation and artificial intelligence is also reducing the need to have a large number of employees at client site.
- 7 states/UTs to roll out intra-state e-way bill today 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Rs13K cr tenders withdrawn to promote Make in India products 25 May 2018 | PTI
- MSI dominated PV segment in April with seven models in top 10 list 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Hope to turn profitable in FY‚Äô20, not before, says BSNL CMD 25 May 2018 | PTI
- End of the Indica 25 May 2018 | Kushan Mitra
- NCLAT asks Bhushan Power to proceed with selection of bids 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Govt hikes customs duty on wheat to 30% to curb cheaper imports 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Sensex recoups 153 points on global cues 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Ficci: Govt‚Äôs move to clear IBC changes to expedite NPA cases 25 May 2018 | PTI
- Rupee rebounds from 18-mth low, up 12 paise against dollar 25 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2018 | Santosh Narayan | Ranchi
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Jharkhand visit on Friday sits with the Deputy Commissioners and officials of the 19 aspirational districts it would boost hope of speedy development of the areas that have been in the red zone. It is learnt that all the DCs concerned have been told to be ready with crisp presentations highlighting not only the good works done in their areas identified but also...