- Chidambaram attacks BJP over deleting dialogues in 'Mersal'
- PM to visit poll-bound Gujarat tomorrow
- Srikanth stuns Axelsen; Saina, Prannoy lose in Denmark Open
- Meeting Dalai Lama major offence, China warns world leaders
- Missing Pak journalist recovered after two years
- Irani hits back at Rahul Gandhi for tweet on Jay Shah
Wipro sacks hundreds post performance appraisal
The country’s third largest software services firm Wipro has sacked hundreds of employees following its annual “performance appraisal”.
According to sources, Wipro has shown the door to about 600 employees, while speculation was rife that the number could go as high as 2,000.
At the end of December 2016, the Bengaluru-based company had over 1.79 lakh employees.
When contacted, Wipro said it undertakes a “rigorous performance appraisal process” on a regular basis to align its workforce with business objectives, strategic priorities of the company, and client requirements.
“The performance appraisal may also lead to the separation of some employees from the company and these numbers vary from year to year,” it added.
The company, however, did not comment on the number of employees who have been asked to leave.
Wipro said its comprehensive performance evaluation process includes mentoring, re-training and upskilling of employees. The company is scheduled to report its fourth quarter and full-year numbers on April 25.
The development comes at a time when Indian IT companies are facing an uncertain environment given the curbs being proposed on worker visa norms by various countries like the US, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
These companies use temporary work visas to send employees to work on client sites.
With visa programmes in these countries becoming more rigorous, Indian IT companies are likely to face challenges in movement of labour as well as a spike in operational costs.
Indian IT companies get over 60 per cent of their revenues from the North American market, about 20 per cent from Europe and the remaining from other economies.
Besides, higher adoption of technologies like automation and artificial intelligence is also reducing the need to have a large number of employees at client site.
- Macro-data led positive momentum lifts equity indices 22 Oct 2017 | IANS
- AP CM for greater India-US co-op in agri sector 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Tata Steel Netherlands workers protest Thyssenkrupp merger 22 Oct 2017 | PTI
- PM hails IFFCO's steps for farmer's upliftment 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Govt fixes Sovereign Gold Bond rate at Rs 2,971 per gram 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Linking bank A/Cs with Aadhaar mandatory: RBI 22 Oct 2017 | PNS
- Govt to float tender for Wi-Fi service in panchayats by 2019 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Only 2,300 bank branches launch Aadhaar enrollment, updation centres 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Anant Raj acquires 26% stake in Delhi mall for Rs 225 crore 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
- Income tax unions threaten stir against new software rollout 21 Oct 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
22 Oct 2017 | PTI | New Delhi
The Sharad Yadav faction of the Janata Dal (United) Party on Saturday announced election to party posts on March 11 and released a list of interim office-bearers, including Chhotubhai Vasava as working president and Ali Anwar as one of the vice-presidents. Yadav also released a list of presidents of party units in states at a press briefing...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 Oct 2017 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will reach Washington DC on October 22. He has been invited by Pt Deendayal Upadhyay Forum, where he will address as a key speaker in the programme organised by the forum...