Zomato reports data theft of 17 million users
Online restaurant guide and food ordering app Zomato on Thursday said about 17 million user records have been stolen from its database.
The stolen information contains user email addresses and ‘hashed’ passwords but no payment information or credit card data has been stolen/leaked, Zomato said in a blogpost on its website.
The startup’s disclosure comes at a time when the world is grappling with the cyber attack by ransomware ‘WannaCry’, which has impacted IT networks in over 150 countries.
Zomato said the data theft was discovered recently by its security team, without indicating the exact time or if it was related to the ‘WannaCry’ ransomware attack.
“Our team is actively scanning all possible breach vectors and closing any gaps in our environment. So far, it looks like an internal (human) security breach - some employee’s development account got compromised,” it said.
Assuring its users that their credit card information on Zomato is fully secure, the company said “payment related information on Zomato is stored separately from this (stolen) data in a highly secure PCI Data Security Standard (DSS) compliant vault”.
As a precaution, Zomato said it has reset passwords for all affected users and logged them out of its app and website and all of the user accounts were secure.
- ‘GST to add 40 bps to growth rate; won’t stoke inflation’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Mahindra Electric bets big on e-vehicles; to ramp up output 25 May 2017 | PTI
- India, Japan JV to set up LNG import terminal in Sri Lanka 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘B’luru prime destination for IoT startups in India’ 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Videocon shares see massive sell-off; drop 42% in 3 days 25 May 2017 | PTI
- MSI plans to upgrade engines, more models with automatic variants 25 May 2017 | PTI
- HCL Tech to buyback stock at 17% premium for Rs 3,500 crore 25 May 2017 | PTI
- ‘ADD on steel items to create stable environment’ 25 May 2017 | Manoj Raghuvanshi
- Note ban ‘successful political coup’: French economist Sorman 25 May 2017 | PTI
- Sikka’s salary drops 67% in FY17, total payout down 7% 25 May 2017 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
25 May 2017 | Staff Reporter | Naya Raipur
There will be 14 minor bridges constructed including a major bridge on the proposed railway track between Mandirhasaud, Naya Raipur and Kendri in the new capital region, officials informed. Notably, Naya Raipur has emerged in the country with the largest land bank of a mammoth 237 square kilometres ( 23,700 hectares), officials stated...