Zomato reports data theft of 17 million users
Online restaurant guide and food ordering app Zomato on Thursday said about 17 million user records have been stolen from its database.
The stolen information contains user email addresses and ‘hashed’ passwords but no payment information or credit card data has been stolen/leaked, Zomato said in a blogpost on its website.
The startup’s disclosure comes at a time when the world is grappling with the cyber attack by ransomware ‘WannaCry’, which has impacted IT networks in over 150 countries.
Zomato said the data theft was discovered recently by its security team, without indicating the exact time or if it was related to the ‘WannaCry’ ransomware attack.
“Our team is actively scanning all possible breach vectors and closing any gaps in our environment. So far, it looks like an internal (human) security breach - some employee’s development account got compromised,” it said.
Assuring its users that their credit card information on Zomato is fully secure, the company said “payment related information on Zomato is stored separately from this (stolen) data in a highly secure PCI Data Security Standard (DSS) compliant vault”.
As a precaution, Zomato said it has reset passwords for all affected users and logged them out of its app and website and all of the user accounts were secure.
- Tech Mahindra Q4 net profit doubles to Rs 1,222 crore 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Toyota and Suzuki expand scope of partnership in India 26 May 2018 | Prof R S S Mani
- Benchmarks soar for 2nd day, end volatile week with modest gains 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Cadila Healthcare Q4 net up 53% at Rs 590.8 cr 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Global stocks fall on North Korea, new Trump trade worries 26 May 2018 | AFP
- Flipkart-Walmart deal: CAIT fears predatory pricing by Walmart 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Suzuki, Toyota outline plans to cooperation deal 26 May 2018 | Kushan Mitra
- Delta Airlines set to resume nonstop flights to Mumbai next year 26 May 2018 | PTI
- Sebi serves notice on Chanda Kochhar in Videocon loan case 26 May 2018 | PTI
- 7 states/UTs to roll out intra-state e-way bill today 25 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
27 May 2018 | PNS | New Delhi
The Nipah virus mystery deepened on Saturday as the samples collected from bats in Kerala’s Kozhikode and Malappuram districts, where 13 people have died of the infection, have tested negative for the virus. A report submitted by a central medical team to the Union Health Ministry also ruled out pigs to be the primary source of the virus...
STATE EDITIONSView All
27 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan remained in the midst of villagers of Pachore, Lachore and Bhadakui of Nasrullaganj tehsil till Friday midnight during his Vikas Yatra in Sehore district. The Chief Minister held a direct dialogue with the villagers during the Jan-Samvad programme and gave information to them about the public welfare schemes...