4-feet long cobra found outside JNU staff quarters
Panic gripped some of the staffers at the verdant Jawaharlal Nehru University campus after a nearly four-feet-long cobra was found there, a wildlife NGO said on Thursday.
The venomous snake was spotted in the lush green campus on Wednesday. “The cobra was found outside the staff quarters of JNU, causing a stir there. The snake was later rescued. It is under observation and will be released back into its natural habitat once deemed fit,” an official of the Wildlife SOS said.
Kartick Satyanarayan, Wildlife SOS co-founder, said: “We have rescued several animals from JNU as the sprawling campus is located in a lush green belt and is home to a variety of wildlife, mainly reptiles, nilgais (blue bulls) and birds. It is essential that we remain sensitive to the presence of wild animals in the national capital region.”
The common cobra (naja naja) is one of the four venomous snake species found in the Indian subcontinent. They are revered in the Indian mythology and culture and have been listed under the Schedule II of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act 1972, the NGO said.
In another incident on Sunday, a nilgai fawn was rescued by the NGO from the JNU campus after it suffered severe dog bite injuries.
“The young nilgai is under medical treatment for its wounds and is placed under observation,” it added.
Recently, a nearly five-foot cobra was rescued from the office of the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC) branch at the Dilli Haat, Pitampura.
- Various road infra projects announced 23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BJP: AAP less focussed on Budget, more on heaping critical comments on L-G 23 Mar 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Budget 2017-18 hollow with manipulated statistics: Maken 23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Rs 5,145 cr for transport sector, DTC fleet to get 1K buses 23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Water supply, sewage treatment to get Rs 2,777cr 23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Major relief to MCDs with Rs 6,903 cr 23 Mar 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- Rs 6,279 cr for health sector proposed, UHIS on cards 23 Mar 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- Kejriwal: Govt will take development to every house in Capital 23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 26% allocated for education 23 Mar 2018 | Chandan Prakash
- Woman hired gang to throw acid on her female partner 23 Mar 2018 | SP Singh
Sunday EditionView All
18 Mar 2018 | PNS
AAI conducts international workshop for utilizing GAGAN In keeping with the Prime Minister’s objective of using technology as a means of development and co-operation, Airports Authority of India has now offered GPS-aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) to SAARC and Southeast Asian countries in order to allow them to reap the significant benefits that accrue from such an advanced navigation system. AAI conducted a two-day workshop on March 15 and 16, 2018...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Mar 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A proposal to set up two centres of excellence, one in floriculture and another in citrus fruits, in Madhya Pradesh with the cooperation of Israel is awaiting the Centre's green-signal. While talking to media persons here on Thursday, Israel Consul General in Mumbai Yaakov Finkelstein told, “India and Israel are working on to strengthen the partnership and cooperation in the fields of agriculture and water...