5 cases of malaria, 1 of dengue reported last week in city
With the advent of season for the vector-borne diseases, the cases of malaria has reached to 16 as five cases reported last week, according to a data released by the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) on Monday.
However, only one new case of dengue reported the week, keeping the total number of people affected by the disease to 27 while the figure for chikungunya stands at 10.
According to the SDMC, mosquito breeding was reported from 10618 Delhi households till May 5. While 14585 legal notices issued for mosquitogenic condition.
Dengue and chikungunya are caused by the bite of Aedes agypti mosquito, which breeds in clear water, while Anopheles mosquito, which causes malaria, can breed in both fresh and muddy water.
A senior Corporation official said that the civic body has started a campaign, requesting people not to allow stagnation of water in coolers or dog-feeders, which become a hot breeding ground for Aedes mosquitoes.
Meanwhile, East Delhi Municipal Corporation on Monday announced to launch a 15 days awareness campaign on prevention and control of vector-borne diseases such as dengue, malaria and chikungunya. A senior EDMC official said that the awareness campaign will start from 15th May and will continue to 31st may to make people aware about the preventive measures to be taken to check mosquito breeding.
In one of the worst outbreak, a total of 12,221 chikungunya cases were reported in Delhi till December 24, 2016, out of which 9,749 were confirmed.
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 25-year-old man found murdered in Narela park 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- City witnesses sultry weather, strong winds likely today 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Need for rehab policy on child rapes: Experts 21 May 2018 | PTI
- CBSE exams: More boys called for counselling than girls 21 May 2018 | PTI
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 May 2018 | PNS | Ranchi
With State’s biggest Urban Local Body (ULB) gearing up to conduct vendors’ committee election in June second week for formation of first Town Vending Committee, the members of Ranchi Footpath Hawkers Association covering quite a number of street vendors appear reluctant to take part in the upcoming election. Notably, as per the rule, allocation of shops to street vendors at the vendors market is done on the recommendation of the...