- Jharkhand High Court extends RJD president Lalu Prasad's provisional bail till July 3
- Missing county has been blessing in disguise: Kohli
- ISJK chief among four militants killed in Kashmir, cop and civilian also dead
- ED moves special court to declare Vijay Mallya fugitive offender
- New Zealand prime minister gives birth to healthy baby girl
5 rapes/day in 2017, most accused known to victims
More than five rape cases were reported on an average everyday in the national Capital last year, and in most incidents, the accused was known to the victim, according to Delhi Police data. In 2017, 2,049 rape cases were reported as against 2,064 in 2016.
As many as 3,273 molestation cases were reported in 2017 in comparison to 4,035 in 2016, according to the statistics shared by Delhi Police. The cases of eve-teasing declined from 894 in 2016 to 621 last year, it said. Almost 92 per cent of the rape cases were solved as opposed to 86 per cent in 2016, the statistics said.
Eighty three per cent of the molestation cases were worked out in 2017 as compared to 72 per cent in 2016. Delhi Police commissioner Amulya Patnaik said that a host of initiatives were taken for women’s safety as it was a priority focus area for them. “Under the banner of ‘Sashakti’, extensive self-defence training was imparted by our trainers and around 2 lakh girls were covered in 2017,” he said.
Some of the other initiatives included ensuring high- visibility of police personnel in vulnerable areas, introduction of women patrols and making ‘Himmat’ app bilingual and more user-friendly, the Police Commissioner said. He attributed the decrease in the crimes against women to these initiatives. The police also kept a constant liaison with civic authorities apprising them of the dark and lonely stretches in the city. The district police took strict action against drinking in public places, which often acts as a precursor to crime against women, with as many as 23,094 people being arrested for the offence, the police said.
The police claimed that in 96.63 per cent of the rape cases the accused was known to the victim, with friends or family friends being the perpetrators in 38.99 per cent of the cases. Neighbours were the accused in 19.08 per cent of the cases and relatives were involved in 14.20 per cent of the cases.
Employers or co-workers were the perpetrators in 3.86 per cent of the cases, the statistics said.
- Allahabad HC Judge named as chairperson of DERC 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Four fake CBI officers arrested in Ghaziabad 23 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Metro‚Äôs Mundka-Bahadur Garh stretch to open on June 24 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Seven-member panel to look into issues faced by transgenders soon 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- EDMC gets SKOCH awards under solid waste mgmt category 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Govt bags four SKOCH Order-of-Merit awards 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Anil Baijal releases report on women safety 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi sees lowest load-shedding for June in 3 years 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tiwari expresses gratitude to Central Govt for providing relief to traders 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman held for carrying live bullets at IGI Airport 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...