- Don't muzzle Constitution: Cong on Naidu's decision to reject impeachment notice
- Metro girder collapses in Ghaziabad
- CJI, other judges sat at 10.45 AM to undertake court proceedings
- Swamy hails VP's decision rejecting impeachment notice
- Shiv Sena leader Sachin Sawant shot dead in Mumbai
- Venkaiah Naidu rejects impeachment notice against CJI
AAP fires salvo at Centre
The Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday trained guns on the Central Government yet again and accused it of creating an atmosphere of "undeclared emergency" in the country and sought public apology for the demonetisation move at its National Council meeting.
The meeting -- attended by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, his deputy Manish Sisodia and other prominent leaders of the party, including Sanjay Singh, Kumar Vishwas -- passed a resolution alleging that there are planned effort by the Centre towards creating an atmosphere of fear and communalism in the country, in the wake of upcoming elections in the States. The resolution expressed "grave concern" over "politically motivated communal tension and fear" in the country due to upcoming Assembly polls in Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat.
The resolution also raised concern over the "declining economic growth" due to demonetisation and hastily implemented Goods and Services Tax (GST).
"The AAP seeks public apology from the Centre for a fraud in the name of demonetization," it said.
Alleging that small investors are the ones who suffered most while the corporate houses have been benefitted, the AAP also demanded that GST slabs and rates should be reduced to give respite to small traders and proposed that cash transactions in rural areas should be re-established.
According the resolution, "the economic growth rate has gone down to 5.7 per cent and is constantly declining. This happened because of the Government's anti-people policies. The country had to bear the double brunt of demonetisation and GST".
Reiterating its earlier stance, it also accused the Centre of not letting the Delhi Government work properly. It alleged that the Centre does this with the help of the Delhi's Lieutenant-Governor.
The party also accused the Centre of pressurising the editors of news channels and newspapers to show biased news. AAP accused the Centre of allegedly attacking the "freedom of expression".
The AAP requested the Election Commission of India to conduct all future elections by Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines with the provision of compulsorily counting the paper trail of 25 per cent booths. The AAP has to face defeat in the recently held elections in Punjab and other States after which the party blamed EVM tampering by rivals responsible for its defeat.
In the resolution, the party also blamed the Centre for the suicide committed by the farmers under distress. It demanded of adequate compensation and employment for the family members of those farmers who have committed suicide.
- JNU to study N-E tribals‚Äô traditional knowledge 24 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- No report of crop residue burning in city: Govt to NGT 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Crackdown on illicit liquor sale: 45 held in 19 days 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- All police stations to be under CCTV watch, HC told 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Civic bodies seal 52 shops for building rule violations 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Dengue spreads tentacles in city, 26 cases reported 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DDA gives in-principle nod to allot 2 sites 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tata power announces 50% cash back for 7 months on payments via Paytm 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gangster Balraj Bhati gunned down in Noida 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- District committee approves Rs 216-cr Budget for Ghaziabad development 24 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...