AAP will win 218 out of 272 seats, claims Ashish
Knowing fully well that the municipal elections are the litmus test for it, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), on Thursday came out with a poll conducted by a private agency to claim that the party was all set to sweep the elections. AAP leader Ashish Khetan claimed on Thursday that it was set to win 218 of the 272 municipal wards in Delhi in the high voltage Sunday election.
Khetan told the media that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which has controlled the civic body for ten years, would be left with 39 wards and the Congress eight. Independent candidates and smaller parties would corner a huge 11.5 per cent of all votes but win just seven seats, he said.
Khetan said these figures had emerged after a professional agency interviewed around 31,000 voters in Delhi on whom they planned to vote for in the civic polls.
The AAP, which rules Delhi, would grab 51.2 per cent of all votes, 3.1 per cent less than what it got when it swept 67 of the 70 Assembly seats in 2015, he said. The BJP would get 28.1 per cent of the votes and the Congress 9.2 per cent, he said.
According to Khetan, 61 per cent of the respondents blamed the municipal corporation for the lack of cleanliness in Delhi and 60 per cent said corruption in the civic body was a major election issue.
Most of those interviewed were happy with the AAP Government’s work in the health and education sectors, for slashing power tariff and for providing 20,000 liters of water free to every household.
- Monsoon may hit Kerala before May 30: MoES 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Violet Line service hit due to safety inspection of metro’s ITO-Kashmere Gate stretch 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Varsity receives 40K registrations on second day 24 May 2017 | SR
- DU’s Open Day session pulls huge crowd 24 May 2017 | Debashish Kumar
- Piyush Goyal asks scribes to go from party meeting; leaves Manoj Tiwari embarrassed 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Ensure availability of medicines in Govt hospitals: CM tells CS 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Cong wins Sarai Pipal, AAP bags Maujpur 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- RSS leader's murder: CPI(M) activist held 24 May 2017 | VR Jayaraj
- Extra marital affair: Woman held for killing husband 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Clash between AISA, ABVP at DU during counselling of aspirants 24 May 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
21 May 2017 | PTI | Jamshedpur
Protest against lynching of four persons intensified today and the police had to fire in the air to disperse a mob, while prohibitory orders under Section 144 were imposed in four areas here for tonight. Police fired in the air to disperse a mob that blocked roads in Mango area, demanding arrest of culprits involved in the lynching of four persons of a community at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharswan district on Thursday...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 May 2017 | PNS | Dehradun
Acting on information received on stacking of foreign exchange in violation of rules, possession of assets disproportionate to sources of income and unaccounted- for money and others, the vigilance sleuths of Enforcement Directorate reportedly swooped down on a well-known chain of shops- Kumar Store- located at Nashvila Road, GMS Road and Rajpur Road in Dehradun on Tuesday. The raids started from 1 pm and continued till evening...