AAP will win 218 out of 272 seats, claims Ashish
Knowing fully well that the municipal elections are the litmus test for it, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), on Thursday came out with a poll conducted by a private agency to claim that the party was all set to sweep the elections. AAP leader Ashish Khetan claimed on Thursday that it was set to win 218 of the 272 municipal wards in Delhi in the high voltage Sunday election.
Khetan told the media that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which has controlled the civic body for ten years, would be left with 39 wards and the Congress eight. Independent candidates and smaller parties would corner a huge 11.5 per cent of all votes but win just seven seats, he said.
Khetan said these figures had emerged after a professional agency interviewed around 31,000 voters in Delhi on whom they planned to vote for in the civic polls.
The AAP, which rules Delhi, would grab 51.2 per cent of all votes, 3.1 per cent less than what it got when it swept 67 of the 70 Assembly seats in 2015, he said. The BJP would get 28.1 per cent of the votes and the Congress 9.2 per cent, he said.
According to Khetan, 61 per cent of the respondents blamed the municipal corporation for the lack of cleanliness in Delhi and 60 per cent said corruption in the civic body was a major election issue.
Most of those interviewed were happy with the AAP Government’s work in the health and education sectors, for slashing power tariff and for providing 20,000 liters of water free to every household.
- Swimming pool owner arrested after two youths drown in Burari 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BSES cooling scheme: Get 5-star ACs for old ones at 47% discount 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gurgaon school murder accused to be tried as adult 22 May 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Magenta Line opens on May 29 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...