Ahead of Chhath Puja, Delhi Govt seeks list of ghats
Ahead of Chhath Puja next month, the Delhi Government has sought a list of existing and proposed ghats from the Revenue and Irrigation & Flood Control departments by September 15.
Development Minister Gopal Rai on Tuesday held a meeting, attended by several MLAs and officers concerned, to review preparations of Chhat Puja ghats. In the meeting, Rai directed the Irrigation and Flood Control department to finish the work of setting up all temporary ghats in the city by October 20.
An official said the department was also directed to start the work of constructing around 50 permanent Chhath ghats by September 25.
“It was decided that departments concerned will prepare a combined list of Chhat Puja ghats, consisting of ghats where the puja was offered last year and the additional sites proposed by the MLAs, by September 15,” the official said.
The minister told the departments that all the temporary and permanent ghats should be ready in time for the festival and no additional ghats should be added without informing the MLAs concerned.
There were around 300 ghats at the time of Chhath festival last year. Some of them are permanent structures.
During Chhath, observed mainly by people from Bihar and eastern Uttar Pradesh, devotees offer prayers to the Sun God.
- Extend exemption granted to illegal constructions: Delhi BJP to Centre 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- IWPC flags police apathy in ITO molestation case 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Night shelters bring comfort to homeless in city 21 Nov 2017 | CHANDAN PRAKASH
- Spurt in vector-borne disease exposes civic bodies' apathy, feel residents 21 Nov 2017 | Chandan Prakash
- EDMC ropes in IIT-Delhi to stabilise Ghazipur Landfill 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Air quality slips to ‚Äėred' zone again 21 Nov 2017 | Sapna Singh
- JNU‚Äôs School of Biotech devises methodology for water-based herbicides 21 Nov 2017 | Abhinav Singh
- DDA allots 12 acres of land in Rohini for new bus depot 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Engineer held at IGIA for thrashing Indigo staff 21 Nov 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- 50 phones,11 sim cards, 11 chargers, batteries recovered in Bhondsi jail 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Nov 2017 | Parvinder Bhatia | Jamshedpur
State’s first women university will come at Sidhgora in the eastern part of Jamshedpur, Chief Minister Raghubar Das said on Monday in Jamshedpur. “I am happy to announce that first Women’s University will come up at Sidhgora...