- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non- proliferation commitments: PM
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak
- US government shuts down
Ahead of Chhath Puja, Delhi Govt seeks list of ghats
Ahead of Chhath Puja next month, the Delhi Government has sought a list of existing and proposed ghats from the Revenue and Irrigation & Flood Control departments by September 15.
Development Minister Gopal Rai on Tuesday held a meeting, attended by several MLAs and officers concerned, to review preparations of Chhat Puja ghats. In the meeting, Rai directed the Irrigation and Flood Control department to finish the work of setting up all temporary ghats in the city by October 20.
An official said the department was also directed to start the work of constructing around 50 permanent Chhath ghats by September 25.
“It was decided that departments concerned will prepare a combined list of Chhat Puja ghats, consisting of ghats where the puja was offered last year and the additional sites proposed by the MLAs, by September 15,” the official said.
The minister told the departments that all the temporary and permanent ghats should be ready in time for the festival and no additional ghats should be added without informing the MLAs concerned.
There were around 300 ghats at the time of Chhath festival last year. Some of them are permanent structures.
During Chhath, observed mainly by people from Bihar and eastern Uttar Pradesh, devotees offer prayers to the Sun God.
- Diesel cess to fund study on air pollution impact on health 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 25-yr-old rapes minor, arrested 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Farrukhnagar gangrape: Both accused nabbed 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM urges L-G to expedite pharmacists‚Äô recruitment 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Robbery case solved with arrest of two snatchers 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC, NMC seal 140 commercial properties 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Traders shut shops against sealing 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM must seek fresh mandate: Gupta 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM has no right to be in power: Maken 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- HC refuses interim relief to AAP MLAs 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
14 Jan 2018 | AFP | Yangon
Myanmar’s civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi has welcomed an unprecedented army admission that security forces carried out extra-judicial killings of Rohingya Muslims as a “positive step”, state-backed media reported on Saturday. After months of staunch denials of abuse, the army on Wednesday said a probe found four members of the security forces helped kill 10 Rohingya militant suspects at Inn Din village on September 2, leaving their bodies in a...
STATE EDITIONSView All
20 Jan 2018 | PNS | Gwalior
It was a pleasing sight on Friday to witness 66 street children, accompanied by the District Collector and other officials at the Gwalior fair. The children enjoyed the visit, gazing at the stalls selling local produce and crafts...