- Militant, among 3 killed in J&K forest shootout
- 15 dead Maoists fished out of Maharashtra river; toll 37
- Saroj Khan backs casting couch, says film industry 'at least' gives jobs
- Pakistan hockey hero seeks heart transplant in India
- India strongly raises terrorism issue at SCO FMs' meet in China
- Trump admin toughens H1-B visa procedure
- PM launches Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
- Kathua rape-murder: Cop, SPO arrested by SIT move J-K HC
AIIMS debars don for 3 yrs as guide
Acting tough, the AIIMS has shifted all students doing PhD and research under a professor of Microbiology to other faculty and also debarred her from guiding students for the next three years after a student attempted suicide, accusing her of harassment and abuse.
The 36-year-old PhD student from the Microbiology department had allegedly attempted suicide at his residence in Gautam Nagar by overdosing on drugs on March 25 and had accused his supervisor of mental harassment, abuse and delay in his fellowship.
The incident had sparked protests by PhD students of the institute who demanded suspension and strict action against the accused professor following which a committee was constituted to inquire into the matter.
“All the students doing PhD thesis under her have been shifted to other faculty members. Also she will not be guiding any student for the next three years," said a senior doctor at AIIMS.
Notably, in his letter to AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria, the fifth year student alleged that he was being mentally harassed and humiliated by the supervisor under whom he got registered in August 2013.
"I have been under constant mental harassment and humiliation. She has again and again used filthy and abusive language in front of everyone. She scolds even when work is done correctly.
"My mental harassment is aggravated as she is not able to procure appropriate facilities, funds in the lab and makes no attempt to get the things done...My fellowship is delayed and this puts me in additional financial problem and mental burden," the student alleged in the letter.
He also claimed that some students, who also are undergoing PhD under the same guide, having contracted TB while working in the lab due to lack of proper equipment and personal protective accessories given to them.
The AIIMS is also learnt to have issued instructions to all supervisors in the department to implement safety measures and infrastructure for the laboratory staff.
- JNU to study N-E tribals‚Äô traditional knowledge 24 Apr 2018 | ABHINAV SINGH
- No report of crop residue burning in city: Govt to NGT 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Crackdown on illicit liquor sale: 45 held in 19 days 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- All police stations to be under CCTV watch, HC told 24 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Civic bodies seal 52 shops for building rule violations 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Dengue spreads tentacles in city, 26 cases reported 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- DDA gives in-principle nod to allot 2 sites 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tata power announces 50% cash back for 7 months on payments via Paytm 24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Gangster Balraj Bhati gunned down in Noida 24 Apr 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- District committee approves Rs 216-cr Budget for Ghaziabad development 24 Apr 2018 | SP Singh
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
24 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The first meeting of Acharya Shankar Ekta Nyas was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Monday at Chief Minister’s residence. Discussion on setting up statue, museum, institution establishment, premises construction, architectural style and vision, rules of the trust, administrative requirements, financial management and formation of executive committee was held in the meeting...