Airport faces brunt of midnight storm
Tuesday’s midnight storm in Delhi impacted runway operations at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) adversely. The domestic terminal was the most affected as high intensity dust- storm considered to be season's strongest- swept through. The wind speed was recorded at 106 kilometer per hour (57 knots). The dusty -gusty storm hit national Capital at 3 am and the most affected runway was runway 11 (IGIA - Palam) while the other runways which were relatively less disturbed were — runway 28 and 29 with high velocity of 52 and 50 (knots ) respectively.
Dr Rajendra Jenamani, Head of MeT scientists group said that flight operations were delayed but not like earlier days, "Irrespective of the fact that it was strongest in this season, impact on aviation was least, as 3 flight went round and 1 diversion, as traffic is lowest during the period," he said.
According to MeT scientists, the late night thunder storm lasted for two hours. "In terms of aviation impact at IGIA, this was lowest impact unlike the storm of April 6, May2 and May 13, when total diversion of flight was 32, 13 and 78 receptively each evening corresponding to squally/gusty winds of 84kmph, 80kmph and 95kmph, timing of associated thunder storm and dust storm were of life period of almsot two hours to four hours from 0520-0730pm, 0800-0945 and 0400-0800," said Dr Jenamai".
The Pioneer spoke with experts to know how flights and runway operation could be affected because of high intensity dust and thunder storm.
"Different operations including navigation disturbance due to dust storms on airport and usually there are chances to get disturbance of airport operations done by pilot while taking off flights," said aviation expert.
"Dust particles impact and bounce on cold areas of the engine (fan or propeller blades) can cause surface damages and widen the gap. Augmentation and leading to gas flow deterioration and gradual loss of performance of the engine, "damages are also caused at the external surface of the aircraft as well depend on the intensity ," the expert added further.
- Swimming pool owner arrested after two youths drown in Burari 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BSES cooling scheme: Get 5-star ACs for old ones at 47% discount 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 16-year-old Ryan murder accused to be tried as adult 22 May 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Magenta Line opens on May 29 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...