Anti-Dengue and Malaria Day organised in Najafgarh
South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) on Monday organised an 'Anti- Dengue and Malaria Day' in Najafgarh Zone to bring awareness against vector-borne diseases.
SDMC Mayor Kamaljeet Sehrawat requested people to render their co-operation in overcoming the challenge by taking certain easy precautions to stop breeding of mosquitoes.
She further asked the 'Department of Environment Management and Services' (DEMS) to focus on cleanliness and sanitation to stop occurrence of mosqitogenic conditions. "Dengue transmission occurs during the rainy season when the temperature and humidity are highly favorable to build-up in high mosquito density. The mosquito bites in the day, leaving schools, teaching institutions and work places on high risk," she said.
A senior Corporation official said that the SDMC's public health department has intensified IEC (Information, Education and Communication) activities to check the menace.
Dengue and chikungunya are caused by bite of aedes agypti mosquito, which breeds in clear water, while anopheles mosquito, which causes malaria, can breed in both fresh and muddy water. Breeding of mosquitoes has been reported at 58,753 households in Delhi, according to the report.
A senior SDMC official said that the female Aedes mosquito, the vector that can spread chikungunya and dengue fever breeds in stagnant water only. If we keep water tanks, coolers, flower pots and utensils dry then it is easy to stop breeding and prevent disease.
"It has been decided to intensify checking of mosquitoes breeding at big establishments, institutions and offices.
“Wherever the breeding will be noticed an appropriate action will be taken. The public health cannot be overlooked hence, all possible steps will be taken to
prevent and control dengue and malaria," the official said.
The South Corporation has already issued 25 VIP Challan against defaulters including MTNL Office, St Gregorias School in Dwarka, Metro project Munirka, Bharti College, Rajdhani and Shiva Ji College, Sarvodaya School, Humayun Tomb, Nizamuddin and Central School of Sadik Nagar.
"Major construction sites have been identified and are under regular follow up to control mosquito breeding. A total of 107 challans and 432 notices have been served to construction sites allowing mosquito breeding or mosquitogenic condition. This year SDMC also initiated levying of administrative charges against violators allowing mosquito breeding. 573 violators have been imposed for administrative charges till date," the official said.
- Extend exemption granted to illegal constructions: Delhi BJP to Centre 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- IWPC flags police apathy in ITO molestation case 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Night shelters bring comfort to homeless in city 21 Nov 2017 | CHANDAN PRAKASH
- Spurt in vector-borne disease exposes civic bodies' apathy, feel residents 21 Nov 2017 | Chandan Prakash
- EDMC ropes in IIT-Delhi to stabilise Ghazipur Landfill 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Air quality slips to ‚Äėred' zone again 21 Nov 2017 | Sapna Singh
- JNU‚Äôs School of Biotech devises methodology for water-based herbicides 21 Nov 2017 | Abhinav Singh
- DDA allots 12 acres of land in Rohini for new bus depot 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
- Engineer held at IGIA for thrashing Indigo staff 21 Nov 2017 | Souvik Mitra
- 50 phones,11 sim cards, 11 chargers, batteries recovered in Bhondsi jail 21 Nov 2017 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
19 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
Addressing a gathering of people via video conferencing in Bharuch district of poll-bound Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday asked them to unite against casteism, terrorism, black money, corruption and communalism. “It is a strange environment…We must hold each others hand and move ahead…...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Nov 2017 | PNS | GANDHINAGAR
DG of SCOPE visits HEC Director General of Standing Conference of Public Enterprises (SCOPE) Dr U D Choubey visited HEC Ltd on Monday and had interaction with HEC CMD Avijit Ghosh and senior officials. A presentation was made before Dr Choubey about HEC highlighting the activities and prestigious orders carried out by HEC...