- Jharkhand High Court extends RJD president Lalu Prasad's provisional bail till July 3
- Missing county has been blessing in disguise: Kohli
- ISJK chief among four militants killed in Kashmir, cop and civilian also dead
- ED moves special court to declare Vijay Mallya fugitive offender
- New Zealand prime minister gives birth to healthy baby girl
APMC security officer shot dead at Azadpur Mandi
A 54-year-old Assistant Security Officer of the Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) was shot dead in full public view at the Azadpur Mandi in Northwest Delhi in the wee hours of Wednesday.
Police officers of the Northwest district said that they have registered a case yet suspect murder.
Police sources said that although the officer was shot in the presence of 20 to 25 people, no eyewitnesses have come forward.
Sumer Singh, a former national level wrestler was shot at by unidentified men in the presence of other employees of the APMC. A native of Haryana, Singh was placed in the APMC under sports quota.
Police said that Singh used to work as the Assistant Security Officer. His job was to regulate and monitor the influx of trucks which came at the Azadpur Mandi. On Tuesday night, Singh was called for Emergency duty. Standing under the shade of shed number 5, employees of the APMC, standing some 20 meters away heard sounds of crackers bursting.
“On reaching the spot, somewhere between shed no 5 and 6, we found that Sumer Singh was bleeding profusely,” said one of the employees.
Singh was rushed to Max hospital in Shalimar Bagh where he succumbed to injuries.
Police said that they have registered a case under relevant sections of the IPC at the Mahendra Park police station.
Police said that they have sent the body of the deceased for post mortem.
Meanwhile, employees of the APMC claimed that they were always under threat. Two weeks ago, they had approached Gopal Rai, Labour Minister about their safety.
- Allahabad HC Judge named as chairperson of DERC 23 Jun 2018 | IANS
- Four fake CBI officers arrested in Ghaziabad 23 Jun 2018 | SP Singh
- Metro‚Äôs Mundka-Bahadur Garh stretch to open on June 24 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Seven-member panel to look into issues faced by transgenders soon 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- EDMC gets SKOCH awards under solid waste mgmt category 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi Govt bags four SKOCH Order-of-Merit awards 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Anil Baijal releases report on women safety 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Delhi sees lowest load-shedding for June in 3 years 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tiwari expresses gratitude to Central Govt for providing relief to traders 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman held for carrying live bullets at IGI Airport 23 Jun 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
17 Jun 2018 | VR Jayaraj | Kochi
In a swift move intended at stemming the protests brewing in the State police force against certain top officials’ ‘feudalistic’ practice of persecuting policemen and camp followers by using them as house servants, the Kerala Government on Saturday removed ADGP Sudesh Kumar, whose daughter was the other day booked for assaulting and verbally abusing his official police driver, from the position of head of the Armed Police Battalion. The action against...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Jun 2018 | PNS | Kochi
MCD still waiting for HC order on encroachment Dehradun: Days after the High Court ordered the officials to remove encroachment from different areas of Dehradun like markets, streets and footpaths in four weeks, the officials concerned said on Friday that they were still waiting for the order to come. They, however, assured that they would execute the order once they get a copy and read it thoroughly...