APMC security officer shot dead at Azadpur Mandi
A 54-year-old Assistant Security Officer of the Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) was shot dead in full public view at the Azadpur Mandi in Northwest Delhi in the wee hours of Wednesday.
Police officers of the Northwest district said that they have registered a case yet suspect murder.
Police sources said that although the officer was shot in the presence of 20 to 25 people, no eyewitnesses have come forward.
Sumer Singh, a former national level wrestler was shot at by unidentified men in the presence of other employees of the APMC. A native of Haryana, Singh was placed in the APMC under sports quota.
Police said that Singh used to work as the Assistant Security Officer. His job was to regulate and monitor the influx of trucks which came at the Azadpur Mandi. On Tuesday night, Singh was called for Emergency duty. Standing under the shade of shed number 5, employees of the APMC, standing some 20 meters away heard sounds of crackers bursting.
“On reaching the spot, somewhere between shed no 5 and 6, we found that Sumer Singh was bleeding profusely,” said one of the employees.
Singh was rushed to Max hospital in Shalimar Bagh where he succumbed to injuries.
Police said that they have registered a case under relevant sections of the IPC at the Mahendra Park police station.
Police said that they have sent the body of the deceased for post mortem.
Meanwhile, employees of the APMC claimed that they were always under threat. Two weeks ago, they had approached Gopal Rai, Labour Minister about their safety.
- Trend of ignoring mother languages by terming them dialect: NCERT prof 22 Feb 2018 | Abhinav Singh
- ‚ÄėWestern neighbour behind influx of Bangladeshis into N-E‚Äô 22 Feb 2018 | Sapna Singh
- Kidnapped 14-yr-old girl rescued in 24 hrs from Rajasthan 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Class VII student of Gurugram school threatens to rape teacher, her minor daughter in FB post 22 Feb 2018 | PTI
- Man films girl while bathing, held 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Sisodia approves setting-up of Ist Innovation Centre for city 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BJP demands police action against Kejriwal, Sisodia 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Business as usual at Secretariat 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Dalit, Muslim MLAs targeted: AAP 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Baijal submits report to MHA 22 Feb 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
18 Feb 2018 | Gwynne Dyer
Now that Jacob Zuma has finally exited, the African National Congress, which has fallen a long way from its glory days, has one last chance to rebuild its reputation before next year’s election. Whether the ANC is the best bet for South Africans is a different question altogether As a passer-by in the upscale Johannesburg suburb of Saxonwold observed, the South African Police would never have raided the enormous, high-walled compound...
STATE EDITIONSView All
23 Feb 2018 | PNS | JAJPUR
Around 1,500 villagers on Thursday protested in front of the Tehasil office at Dharmasala of Jajpur district against a proposed cement plant at village Haridaspur. They demanded that construction of the Ramco Cement Limited (RCL) project be stopped...