Cab sharing a good idea: Arvind Kejriwal
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has termed cab sharing a ‘good idea’ and invited suggestions on how to allow it, keeping in mind the safety of women. His support for cab sharing, which, at present, is being provided by app-based cab aggregators has come amid the Delhi Government firming up the City Taxi Scheme 2017.
“I agree that ride sharing is a good idea. This is being discussed within the govt. Our concern is women safety. Sharing a ride wid strangers may not be safe for women,” (sic) Kejriwal tweeted.
He also invited suggestions on how to allow ride sharing and simultaneously ensure women safety.
However, the opinion on whether to allow cab sharing or ban it is divided in the absence of any enabling law supporting either.
According to sources, Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot is against banning cab ride sharing and a final decision over it is expected..
“The file related to the proposed City Taxi Scheme is pending with the Minister’s office for his approval. Once the minister takes a decision, the draft will be sent to the Lt Governor and thereafter, it will be made public for general suggestion,” an official said on the condition of anonymity.
Cab aggregators operate with contract carriage permits that allow point-to-point transportation with no stop-overs between the origin and the final destination of a ride.
In contrast, the stage carriage permit, given for public service transport, allows pick and drop at different stops on a route.
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, does not allow shared rides by cabs that operate under contract carriage permits. It can be done only after an amending the Act.
- Swimming pool owner arrested after two youths drown in Burari 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- BSES cooling scheme: Get 5-star ACs for old ones at 47% discount 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 16-year-old Ryan murder accused to be tried as adult 22 May 2018 | Parvesh Sharma
- Magenta Line opens on May 29 22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Woman hit by truck while crossing road, dies; driver escapes 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- MCD reports absolve Max doctors of negligence: Police 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- National Zoological Park to organise summer training programme from May 22 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Man, who killed 16-yr-old girl fortnight ago, held 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Brazilian woman held for smuggling cocaine in capsules at IGI airport 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Software engineer dies mysteriously in DDA pool 21 May 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
20 May 2018 | PNS
New Delhi: “Now, let us enjoy our holidays,” this is how the Supreme Court concluded the hearing on the Karnataka power row on Saturday. The courtroom burst into a bout of laughter as Justice AK Sikri, who headed the three-judge Bench, made the jovial remark ...
STATE EDITIONSView All
22 May 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
A women’s youth camp under Go Rurban camp with the objective to connect rural and urban youth together will be held at village Sijora district Dindori. The basic idea of the camp is to build a stronger bridge in order to fill the gap between rural and urban society...