Chased by victim, phone snatcher dies in road mishap
A 21-year-old thief on Friday morning met with an accident after just snatching a teenager’s cell phone in Southeast Delhi’s Okhla area.
Chinmoy Biswal, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) said, “The incident took place around 8.25 am under the jurisdiction of the Okhla Industrial Area police station about a fatal accident at the C Lal Chowk.”
The officer said as per the statement of 17-year-old Sumit Yadav, “he was heading towards the C Lal Chowk when two unidentified bike-borne persons snatched his mobile phone. Following which, Sumit caught hold of the motorcycle but was dragged. At the red light, the pillion rider who had snatched Sumit’s mobile phone was reportedly hit by an unknown vehicle and died on the spot.” On enquiry, the deceased was identified as Sandeep, a resident of Giri Nagar in Govindpuri area.
Locals made a call to the police control room after which he was rushed to a nearby hospital mortuary by the local police. Family of Sandeep was informed and post mortem was conducted. In the entire snatching incident, Sumit too sustained injuries and was taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre. A student of a government school, condition of Sumit is stated to be out of danger.
On the other hand, mobile phone of the student has been recovered from possession of Sandeep. Meanwhile, efforts are on to search for the other accused, who fled on the motorcycle.
- 5-foot-long royal snake rescued from Assembly; 2nd this year 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- City plans to grow vertical gardens on flyovers pillars 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Tiwari stages dharna near proposed landfill site 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Make effort to get best ranking, 3 Municipal Commissioners told 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Power of legislation being encroached by L-G: Ram to LS Speaker 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Govt to schools: Stop students from using plastic covers on notebooks 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Furious at kids playing outside his shop, trader throws acid on 11-yr-old who is battling for life 26 Apr 2018 | Kanika Mehta
- 6L students write economics retest 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Initiate probe against rape accused prof: HC to JNU 26 Apr 2018 | PTI
- Vijay Goel launches ‚ÄėSave Old Delhi Heritage‚Äô campaign 26 Apr 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
22 Apr 2018 | PTI | Ahmedabad
A mild tremor measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale was felt in parts of south Gujarat, including Bharuch and Surat districts, though no damage was reported, officials said...
STATE EDITIONSView All
26 Apr 2018 | ADREESH BHATTACHARYA | Ranchi
The Birsa Munda Bus Terminal at Khadgada from which numerous long route buses, including daily services to Delhi, Bhubaneshwar and Kolkata, operate will soon get shelter homes for the ease of passengers boarding and getting off in the wee hours. The Ranchi Municipal Corporation (RMC) has elaborate plans to make the inter-state bus terminal even more passengers centric so that this state of the art bus terminal can operate on...