- India down hosts New Zealand in Four-Nations hockey
- Sonai honour killing case: Court awards death sentence to six
- India's entry into elite nuclear groups reaffirms its non- proliferation commitments: PM
- 4 injured in ceasefire violation by Pak
- Pak raises Jadhav's case in UNSC debate on Afghanistan
- India asks UN to focus on eliminating terror safe havens in Pak
- US government shuts down
Chased by victim, phone snatcher dies in road mishap
A 21-year-old thief on Friday morning met with an accident after just snatching a teenager’s cell phone in Southeast Delhi’s Okhla area.
Chinmoy Biswal, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southeast) said, “The incident took place around 8.25 am under the jurisdiction of the Okhla Industrial Area police station about a fatal accident at the C Lal Chowk.”
The officer said as per the statement of 17-year-old Sumit Yadav, “he was heading towards the C Lal Chowk when two unidentified bike-borne persons snatched his mobile phone. Following which, Sumit caught hold of the motorcycle but was dragged. At the red light, the pillion rider who had snatched Sumit’s mobile phone was reportedly hit by an unknown vehicle and died on the spot.” On enquiry, the deceased was identified as Sandeep, a resident of Giri Nagar in Govindpuri area.
Locals made a call to the police control room after which he was rushed to a nearby hospital mortuary by the local police. Family of Sandeep was informed and post mortem was conducted. In the entire snatching incident, Sumit too sustained injuries and was taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre. A student of a government school, condition of Sumit is stated to be out of danger.
On the other hand, mobile phone of the student has been recovered from possession of Sandeep. Meanwhile, efforts are on to search for the other accused, who fled on the motorcycle.
- Diesel cess to fund study on air pollution impact on health 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- 25-yr-old rapes minor, arrested 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Farrukhnagar gangrape: Both accused nabbed 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM urges L-G to expedite pharmacists‚Äô recruitment 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Robbery case solved with arrest of two snatchers 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- SDMC, NMC seal 140 commercial properties 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- Traders shut shops against sealing 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM must seek fresh mandate: Gupta 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- CM has no right to be in power: Maken 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
- HC refuses interim relief to AAP MLAs 20 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter
Sunday EditionView All
21 Jan 2018 | PTI | New Delhi
Cold wave conditions persisted on Saturday in most parts of north India with the mercury further dropping in Kashmir and high-altitude areas of Himachal Pradesh recording sub-zero temperatures. Normal life remained hit in Jammu and Kashmir's Kargil as the minimum there settled at minus 19...
STATE EDITIONSView All
21 Jan 2018 | Staff Reporter | Bhopal
The Congress party exhibited a strong fight in the Madhya Pradesh civic polls by winning nine presidential posts in 19 civic bodies on Saturday, tying with the BJP, which too won equal numbers. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's charisma could not help the BJP take over the Congress citadel of Raghogarh, hometown of AICC general secretary Digvijaya Singh...